give somebody to somebody

< Previous | Next >

nenissima

Italy
What does could possibly mean 'She' d give you Tash and a month of herr bad days'? Here some context and the whole sentence: the person who is speaking is a gay hairdresser and he had cut Miss X's hair (miss x is Barbs (speaker's bestfriend and collegue) exhusband 's new lover).

Speaker now talk to Barbs and says: you (referring to Miss X) are no feart, putting yourself into my hands, swanning in here to our salon without an appointment. I thought, see if Barbs had any agenda, or see if she was afflicted by a vendictive nature, she'd give you to Tash (another hairdresser) and a month of herr bad days...

What does the speaker means with the last sentence?

Thank you.

• Loob

English UK
    This is Liz Lochhead's "Perfect Days" again, isn't it?

Someone who's seen it would be able to give you a better steer than I can, but I'll try, anyway:)

Give you Tash/Give you to Tash (I see you have written both versions):

As I understand it, Barbs is the owner of the hair salon, and able, therefore, to decide which hairdresser cuts which client's hair.

"Give you Tash" = (more or less) allocate Tash to you
    "Give you to Tash" = (more or less) allocate you to Tash

If she had wanted to be vindictive, she could have asked Tash to cut Miss X's hair.

Herr bad days

The usual phrase is "bad hair day", as in "I'm having a bad hair day" meaning "I feel awful, I look awful, everything's awful!!!"

The speaker has turned this round and incorporated the German word for "Mr" (Herr): so it means something like "Mr Bad days".

Exactly what he intends to convey by this, I don't know. Is Tash a nasty or grumpy man? Or would he have cut Miss X's hair so badly that Barbs' ex-husband would be angry for a month? Or ... ?

< Previous | Next >