Give up passport

lekal

Chinese
Dear friends,
If granted bail, Meng will probably have to post bail with “a surety of several million dollars”, Gary Botting, a Vancouver lawyer who has experience with extradition cases, said. She would also have to give up her passport, he said.
Source,
China-US feud threatens Canada as Huawei executive due in court

What does "give up her passport" here mean?
1, give up her citizenship?
2, hand over her passport to the authorities temporarily, and will get her passport back when she win her case ?

• sdgraham

USA English
    1, give up her citizenship:cross::cross:? I know of no country that can compel anybody to give up citizenship in another country, which would leave that person stateless.
    2, hand over her passport to the authorities temporarily, and will get her passport back when she win her case ?:tick::tick:
    In the U.S., a common expression is "surrendering one's passport."

"Give up" is a poor choice of words, in my opinion, and I can see how it can be confusing.

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    1, give up her citizenship? :cross:
    2, hand over her passport to the authorities temporarily, :tick: and will get her passport back when she win her case ? she is no longer facing charges or, if convicted, has finished her sentence.

Surrendering one's passport is the usual way to keep a foreign national from fleeing the country.

< Previous | Next >