give up vs abandon

Heliss

Bulgarian and English
Please tell me if the term 'give up' is better than 'abandon'.

Foreign market makers gave up on the Russian Stock Exchange.

Foreign market makers abandoned the Russian Stock Exchange.

• Llohr

English - American Midwest
    I would say there are some connotative differences between the two. "Abandon" more strongly suggests a complete disengagement with something--a severing of all relationships--whereas "gave up" implies something more along the lines of a loss of hope.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Can I use "abandon" instead of "give up"?
    "Ed is so gallant that he always gives up his subway seat to a woman."

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi taraa, no, you can't use "abandon" in that context. It's difficult to explain, but maybe it's that "give up" in this sense means "relinquish" or "surrender". It implies a sort of ethical or altruistic or morally positive act. You do something for the benefit of someone else, so that someone else benefits from your gesture - here the woman benefits. "Abandon" doesn't carry any notion of altruism or doing something for someone else's benefit. You do it for your own benefit only.

Last edited:

taraa

Persian
    Hi taraa, no, you can't use "abandon" in that context. It's difficult to explain, but maybe it's that "give up" in this sense means "relinquish" or "surrender". It implies a sort of ethical or altruistic or morally positive act. You do something for the benefit of someone else, so that someone else benefits from your gesture - here the woman benefits. "Abandon" doesn't carry any notion of altruism or doing something for someone else's benefit. You do it for your own benefit only.
    Hi EnquiringMind
    Why in the sentence below "abandon" is used? The sentences are similar.
    He decided to abandon his subway seat in favor of a woman standing nearby."

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Google gives ONE actual result for this, so on one occasion someone used the word wrongly. It happens. If it was possible to use the word "abandon" in that sense in that collocation, you'd expect to see it more than once.

taraa

Persian
    Google gives ONE actual result for this, so on one occasion someone used the word wrongly. It happens. If it was possible to use the word "abandon" in that sense in that collocation, you'd expect to see it more than once.
    Thank you so much
    The sentence below is from "504 absolutely essential words", Do you mean it is used wrongly?
    He decided to abandon his subway seat in favor of a woman standing nearby."

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Yes. By giving up his seat he is clearly voluntarily doing a favour to someone else, acting altruistically. That's not the sense of "abandon". As I said, if "abandon my/your/his/her seat" (in the sense of voluntarily giving it up as an altruistic act) was normal usage, you'd expect to find more than one example on Google.

Myridon

English - US
    In addition to being a poor use of "abandon", it seems seems to say that he switched from the seat to the woman. I wonder if she enjoys being sat upon. ;)

taraa

Persian
    Yes. By giving up his seat he is clearly voluntarily doing a favour to someone else, acting altruistically. That's not the sense of "abandon". As I said, if "abandon my/your/his/her seat" (in the sense of voluntarily giving it up as an altruistic act) was normal usage, you'd expect to find more than one example on Google.
    Thank you so much

taraa

Persian
    In addition to being a poor use of "abandon", it seems seems to say that he switched from the seat to the woman. I wonder if she enjoys being sat upon. ;)
    :) Her jealous boyfriend thought Kenny was flirting with his girlfriend (It's from the book)

Thank you very much

< Previous | Next >