<give use to> comic elements

Oldbie

Chinese - china
Here is the original sentence that copied from my assignment:

Discuss how the worlds of mortals and immortals in A Midsummer Night’s Dream give use to comic elements in the play. Write 500-550 words
I have spent a very long time to figure out the meaning of this question, but I didn't get any idea what is the question want to ask because of this GIVE USE TO.

I would deeply appreciate if anyone could help!

• kency

English - SE England
    It just means "use" or "make use of". It's not the usual way of expressing this meaning.

Oldbie

Chinese - china
    It just means "use" or "make use of". It's not the usual way of expressing this meaning.
    I have searched that "GIVE USE TO" in mainstream search engine and no luck. I guess that was the formal or academic way to say "How to use comic elements in the play"?

Oldbie

Chinese - china
    Hello Oldbie

It looks like a misprint for "give rise to":)
    seems "give rise to" and "make use of" are both sounds correct in that sentence. These two are very close.
    Now I think I know how to answer this question, thanks all!

Loob

English UK
    The problem for me is that if the words in bold mean "make use of", I find it hard to see what the question means.
    I can see that the parallel worlds of mortals and immortals may "give rise to" comedy; I can't see how those worlds "make use of" comedy.
    If this assignment was set by your teacher, Oldbie, my advice would be to ask him or her for clarification.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The problem for me is that if the words in bold mean "make use of", I find it hard to see what the question means.
    I can see that the parallel worlds of mortals and immortals may "give rise to" comedy; I can't see how those worlds "make use of" comedy.
    If this assignment was set by your teacher, Oldbie, my advice would be to ask him or her for clarification.
    I agree completely.:thumbsup: If I had to write that assignment I would feel unsure of what exactly I was supposed to be discussing.

Oldbie

Chinese - china
    The reason I don't want to ask my tutor is becuase this just a rudimentary assignment. I don't know what would my tutor think of me if I ask her such this question:oops: Well, I guess I better enquire my tutor for better understanding of this vogue question.

< Previous | Next >