give way

< Previous | Next >

mia0815

Taiwanese
What counts is not poetry. What counts is truth. [...] But sadness in this country is never anything but a commentary on beauty. And as the train travelled on through the evening I felt a tension in me slowly giving way.

The Age of Magic by Ben Okri

The italic passage is quoted from Camus's essay 'The Desert'.

What does give way mean?

Please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It's not "give away;" it's "give way."

From the WR dictionary:

give way:
    • to withdraw or retreat:The infantry gave way when the enemy tanks advanced.
    • to break down; collapse During the earthquake, the walls gave way.

AliBadass

persian
    From the book ''be your own #goals'' by Kristen Martin: "...it’s so important to remember that these movies are just that—movies. They are not real. And they certainly don’t accurately depict real life.
    ...And yes, the movies may give way and reference these things because every story needs conflict—but I find it to be a sort of glorified conflict, one that makes you think,... .

What does ''give way'' mean here?

lingobingo

English - England
    There’s not really enough context there to be sure. And the book doesn’t seem to have a preview online.

But it almost certainly means give way in the sense of yield and compromise.

AliBadass

persian
    There’s not really enough context there to be sure.
    Here's more context: "As much as I loved (and still love) the Disney movies and soap operas and romantic comedies where the girl falls in love with the “right” guy and lives happily every after, it’s so important to remember that these movies are just that—movies. They are not real. And they certainly don’t accurately depict real life.Things don’t just happen easily and effortlessly, whether we’re talking about a relationship, a friendship, going to school, starting a career, etc. There are a ton of bumps and hurdles along the way. And yes, the movies may give way and reference these things because every story needs conflict—but I find it to be a sort of glorified conflict, one that makes you think, “Hmm, if this terrible thing happens to me, it’s okay because Julia Roberts dealt with the same thing and look how her life turned out!”

lingobingo

English - England
    She does seem to mean give way in the sense of yield/relent, as I said before. Meaning that instead of telling a story in which life is hunky-dory all the time, romcoms etc. intentionally introduce some kind of conflict to add interest and development in the plot. Her point is simply that this fictional kind of conflict is often just as unreal as the relentless(!) niceness with which it’s contrasted.

< Previous | Next >