Give you all a brief introduction of myself.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Silver, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Silver

Silver Senior Member

Chongqing
    Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    Hi,

Can I say this at the school opening day to all my classmates:

I feel honored to give you all a brief introduction of myself.

Will it be redundant? I know "briefly introduce myself" is much better, but my question is whether the bold expression is idiomatic?

Thanks a lot

2. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    I would say something more like "I'm hono(u)red to introduce myself to you." I don't think "briefly" is necessary.

3. quillerbee Senior Member

Germany
    Canadian English
    Hi Silver, I would not try to be idiomatic, but sincere. Your sentence is good, Julie's is good, just be yourself and you will be fine.

4. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    No, it is not idiomatic, at least in my world. The use of honoured is very pretentious... People do use it...... but when I hear that at the start of a presentation I switch on, so that I can ask very pointed questions later.......

GF..

5. henrylee100 Senior Member

Russian
    I may be wrong but to me it seems that what you're trying to say is something like
    I'm honored to have/be given this opportunity to tell you a little bit about myself.
    When you introduce yourself you basically just tell them your name (possible first and last name as in 'Hello, my name is/I'm Silverobama...) I don't see how you can get any 'briefer' than that. And what would be a long introduction then?

6. kengwilson

kengwilson Senior Member

Germany
    English from the North of England
    Yes, indeed - keep it simple. Remember Melville: "Call me Ishmael."

KGW

7. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    I vote for this one :thumbsup: