Given the above, I would be grateful if you would confirm

Pyramid

English, UK
Hello.
I have been asked to translate an English sentence into German for someone for whom I translate from other languages into English and I don't want to disappoint them although my German is rather rusty. Could someone confirm whether the following is grammatically correct?

"Unter Berücksichtigung dieser Mitteilung, ich wäre Ihnen dankbar, wenn Sie mir bestätigen würden, dass ich nicht verpflichtet war Ihrem Amt von diesem Abkommen in Kenntnis zu setzen, damit zu beziehen."

Thank you in advance.

• sisyphe

German/Germany
    Hello Pyramid,

Perhaps you could also post the original sentence? Some amendmends to your sentence are needed, but it is impossible to figure out which exactly without the context or the original sentence.

Thanks. Kind regards,
    sisyphe

Pyramid

English, UK
    This is the original sentence, Sisyphe:

Given the above, I would be grateful if you would confirm to me that I was not obliged to advise your office of this regulation in order to benefit therefrom.

Thank you,

Pyramid

Kajjo

Given the above, I would be grateful if you would confirm to me that I was not obliged to advise you of this regulation
    Ich wäre Ihnen dankbar, wenn Sie mir unter Berücksichtung des vorgenannten Sachverhalts bestätigen könnten, daß ich nicht verpflichtet war, sie auf diese Vorschrift aufmerksam zu machen.

Please note that I translated "to advise of this regulation" in the sense of "to draw your attention to the existence of this regulation". If the verb "advise" is meant differently, we need to rephrase the translation.

Kajjo

Ralf

German
    Could you be a bit more specific as to the nature of the office in question (is it a local authority, a government agency, a corporate department, ...) and the type of regulation you are referring to (you translated it as agreement--but I'm not sure if this is really what you have in mind).

Ralf

Pyramid

English, UK
    Thank you for your input Kajjo. The sense is indeed "to draw your attention to the existence of"...

The office concerned is the Finanzamt.

Ralf

German
    I'm not sure if it's still of any interest, but what puzzles me is the in order to benefit therefrom part. Does it refer to the regulation or to the act of advising? Who should benefit therefrom--the Finanzamt ord the adviser?

... just curious ;-)

Ralf

Pyramid

English, UK
    The meaning is "in order to benefit from the regulation". It's a tax exemption regulation.

Thank you, Ralf.

Kajjo

...daß ich nicht verpflichtet war, ihre Dienststelle auf diese für sie vorteilhafte Vorschrift aufmerksam zu machen.

oder: ihr Amt (more general, on a larger scale, the whole institution) statt ihre Dienststelle (more specific, a smaller part of the institution)

in order to benefit therefrom = für sie vorteilhafte/möglicherweise nutzbringende

Kajjo

Kajjo

The meaning is "in order to benefit from the regulation". It's a tax exemption regulation.
    I do not understand this. If you, the adviser, the advise the financial authorities about a tax exemption -- where is the advantage for the office?

I suppose, (a) the office, (b) the adviser, and (c) the person who benefits should be three different entities. If this is the case, the translation has to be revised.

Kajjo

Pyramid

English, UK
    I appreciate that it must seem confusing Kajjo. Here's the background:
    The person who should benefit from a tax exemption regulation is asking the Tax Office to confirm that it was not necessary for him to draw the Tax Office's attention to the exemption regulation which is law and from which he should benefit automatically.

Thank you,
    Pyramid

Ralf

German
    Well, in this case just stick to Kajjo's suggestion in the first place. I understand that the 'adviser' and the beneficiary is one and the same person, thus the reference to the beneficiary is, if not redundant, but irrelevant for the comprehension of the sentence in German.

For the mere sake of completeness:

Ich wäre Ihnen dankbar, wenn Sie mir unter Berücksichtung des vorgenannten Sachverhalts bestätigen könnten, daß ich nicht verpflichtet war, Sie auf diese Vorschrift (here perhaps better: Verordnung) zu meinen Gunsten aufmerksam zu machen.

Or in a slightly sharp tone:

Ausgehend von den vorstehenden Ausführungen wäre ich wäre Ihnen für eine Bestätigung dankbar, dass es nicht mir oblag, Sie auf die Anwendung dieser Verordnung zu meinen Gunsten hinzuweisen.

Ralf

Pyramid

English, UK
    Thank you very, very much Ralf. The sharper tone is perfect for my requirements. My thanks to all contributors.
    Pyramid

< Previous | Next >