Given the timing

AliBadass

persian
In the movie ''The Lincoln Lawyer'' the prosecutor wants to bring a cooperating witness to the court and put him on the stand that the lawyer believes he's a jailhouse snitch and objects and the judge tells the lawyer: Do you want to go back and talk to him? Given the timing, I'd allow it.
What kind of grammar is that(Given the timing)? Would you rephrase that?

• owlman5

English-US
    It's a shorter way of saying "Because I/we have been given the timing". It means that the judge thinks this is a good time to allow the lawyer to go back and talk to him.

AliBadass

persian
    It's a shorter way of saying "Because I/we have been given the timing". It means that the judge thinks this is a good time to allow the lawyer to go back and talk to him.
    I'm afraid I didn't get it completely. Would explain more please? Is the judge saying we have enough time? (so you can go back and talk to him). And why the judge uses the term ''timing'' and not ''time'' ?

Myridon

English - US
    I don't agree with owlman5 and it seems to me that there's something not quite right or we don't have enough context to interpret it correctly (the timing of what?).
    "Given the timing" usually means "taking the timing as a given" or "The timing being what it is."

AliBadass

persian
    I don't agree with owlman5 and it seems to me that there's something not quite right or we don't have enough context to interpret it correctly (the timing of what?).
    "Given the timing" usually means "taking the timing as a given" or "The timing being what it is."
    Here's more context: Lawyer: How long has the state been sitting on this testimony? Prosecutor: Mr. Corliss just came forward yesterday, Your Honor. Lawyer: Yesterday? This is incredible. Judge: Do you want to go back and talk to him? Given the timing, I'd allow it. Lawyer: No. Thank you, though, Judge. I think we all know what this is. Mr. Minton's putting a jailhouse snitch on the stand, and everything he says will be a lie.

Linkway

British English
    Here's more context: Lawyer: How long has the state been sitting on this testimony? Prosecutor: Mr. Corliss just came forward yesterday, Your Honor. Lawyer: Yesterday? This is incredible. Judge: Do you want to go back and talk to him? Given the timing, I'd allow it. Lawyer: No. Thank you, though, Judge. I think we all know what this is. Mr. Minton's putting a jailhouse snitch on the stand, and everything he says will be a lie.

The judge is saying that because Mr Corliss came forward only the previous day, she or he appreciates that there has not been sufficient time to deal with that information and the judge will allow the lawyer/s the time to consult the defendant (or whoever needs to be consulted). If the new testimony had been available months previously, the judge would probably NOT allow any delay at this point, but the judge is acknowledging the importance of the short time it has been known, and justice demands that the ;lawyer should be able to consult properly (and perhaps contradict the testimony or change plea, or other significant consequence).

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    The judge is saying that because Mr Corliss came forward only the previous day, she or he appreciates that there has not been sufficient time to deal with that information and the judge will allow the lawyer/s the time to consult the defendant (or whoever needs to be consulted). If the new testimony had been available months previously, the judge would probably NOT allow any delay at this point, but the judge is acknowledging the importance of the short time it has been known, and justice demands that the ;lawyer should be able to consult properly (and perhaps contradict the testimony or change plea, or other significant consequence).

I agree. Given means "because of" in this sentence.

< Previous | Next >