gives her the take sign

< Previous | Next >

Pavel Pin

Telugu
Jimmy Dungan is a baseball couch to Dottie. A baseball announcer says:

ANNOUNCER: Count's 2 balls and no strikes to Rockford's big catcher, Dottie Hinson. And it's in the dirt. 3 and 0. Let's see if Jimmy Dugan gives her the green light on 3 and 0 or gives her the take sign.

What is the meaning of "gives her the take sign"?
Source: A League of Their Own (1992)

• morior_invictus

Slovak
    Noun
    take sign (plural take signs)(en.wiktionary.org)

(baseball) A sign from the third base coach, or whoever the batter receives signals from, telling the batter that no matter what he will not swing at the next pitch.

What Is A Green Light In Baseball?(sportslingo.com)

1. This refers to when the coach gives the batter the okay signal to swing at any good pitch that comes into the strike zone. For example, a batter usually needs the greenlight from a coach to swing when the count is three balls and no strikes, since the chances of getting a walk are much greater than getting a hit.

Pavel Pin

Telugu
    no matter what he will not swing at the next pitch. Is there any sentence missing after this phrase?

I used to say, no matter you come or not, I will come to church. In your sentence, second phrase is missing.

pob14

American English
    no matter what he will not swing at the next pitch. Is there any sentence missing after this phrase?

I used to say, no matter you come or not, I will come to church. In your sentence, second phrase is missing.
    No, the full phrase would be “no matter what happens on the next pitch, she will not swing.”

< Previous | Next >