Giving up on the grad school was a blow

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Giving up on grad school was a blow, but it gave her much needed time to refocus and heal.

Source: university exam

Hi,
Can the below changes be acceptable to work in the above blue sentence, too?

Giving up on the grad school was ................
Giving up grad school was ...............
Giving up the grad school was ............

Thank you.

• Packard

USA, English
    "Giving up on grad school" has two meanings. The student gave up on the school he/she was attending and gave up on the idea of ever finishing grad school.

On the other hand, "giving up grad school" only references the current situation.

For me, "giving up the..." does not work.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    In "giving up on something" can we also use a definite article (the)?

I mean "giving up on the something"?:confused:

Packard

USA, English
    In "giving up on something" can we also use a definite article (the)?

I mean "giving up on the something"?:confused:
    It sounds completely wrong to me even if you were relating to a specific school.

Maybe someone can chime in with the "why" of it. But I would not use the definite article.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    On the other hand, "giving up grad school" only references the current situation.
    I couldn't understand this part.

Do you mean "to give up on grad school" is the same as "to give up grad school"?

Packard

USA, English
    I couldn't understand this part.

Do you mean "to give up on grad school" is the same as "to give up grad school"?
    To give up on grad school, conveys the idea that the concept of grad school has been abandoned.

To give up grad school can mean that it is a temporary situation.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    It (giving up on the something) sounds completely wrong to me even if you were relating to a specific school.
    "giving up the..." does not work.
    Thanks for answering but I have some sentences in which article "the" has worked:

1. At some point, Switzerland may have to give up on the idea of a long-haul carrier.
    businessweek.com
    Improve Your Writing skills

2. However, we'll assume you're ready to give up on the notion of free dating sites.
    iftomm2003.com

3. Bowles concluded the meeting by urging lawmakers not to give up on the issue.
    bloomberg.com

4. Calipari said he anticipated UConn trapping Wall to get him to give up the ball.
    kentucky.com

5. But they would still be loth to give up the freedom to buy arms where they want.
    economist.com

Packard

USA, English
    Thanks for answering but I have some sentences in which article "the" has worked:

1. At some point, Switzerland may have to give up on the idea of a long-haul carrier.
    businessweek.com

2. However, we'll assume you're ready to give up on the notion of free dating sites.
    iftomm2003.com

3. Bowles concluded the meeting by urging lawmakers not to give up on the issue.
    bloomberg.com

4. Calipari said he anticipated UConn trapping Wall to get him to give up the ball.
    kentucky.com

5. But they would still be loathe to give up the freedom to buy arms where they want.
    economist.com

To make the sentence structure comparable to yours would render most of these incorrect also.

businessweek.com

iftomm2003.com

3. Bowles concluded the meeting by urging lawmakers not to give up on [pursuing] the issue. [This sentence works because "pursuing" is understood.]
    bloomberg.com

4. Calipari said he anticipated UConn trapping Wall to get him to give up on the ball.
    kentucky.com

5. But they would still be loathe to give up the freedom to buy arms where they want.
    economist.com

< Previous | Next >