giving us heaps

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Example: Hong Kong crowd giving us heaps when we get the ball.

Source: Socceroos vs Hong Kong: 2013 East Asian Cup qualifier live scores[/QUOTE]

Background: Regional minnows Hong Kong were not at all phased by the supposed football giants from Australia in the encouraging 1-0 home defeat in the opening game of the East Asian Cup qualifying tournament. During the game, the away team had to play in front of a vocal home crowd who booed and jeered every time they got the ball. The example above is taken from a live match report by an Australian.

Hi, Freedicitonary.com labels "give them heaps" as Australian slang meaning

to contend strenuously with an opposing sporting team
I was wondering if there is an alternative that can be readily understood across different varieties of English.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In BE, it would be "giving us stick when we got the ball." though I don't know if this is said in AE.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    In BE, it would be "giving us stick when we got the ball." though I don't know if this is said in AE.
    Not quite; we use a word that almost rhymes with stick. ;) :D

Background: Regional minnows Hong Kong were not at all phased by the supposed football giants from Australia in the encouraging 1-0 home defeat in the opening game of the East Asian Cup qualifying tournament. During the game, the away team had to play in front of a vocal home crowd who booed and jeered every time they got the ball. The example above is taken from a live match report by an Australian.
    Also, you mean fazed, not "phased."

sound shift

English - England
    "Hong Kong crowd giving us heaps when we get the ball" appears a long way down the page linked by redgiant, not in the match report but in a comment by a certain 'Griffo' timed at 11.33 p.m. It would have helped to have known this; it took me ages to find it :(.

The Freedictionary definition quoted by redgiant seems to imply that teams give each other 'heaps'; as a BrE speaker unfamiliar with the expression, I don't know if the notion of a crowd giving someone heaps seems at all odd to an Australian.

I see from Miss Julie's post that "giving us stick" doesn't work for AmE speakers. "Booing us" works in BrE. I suspect it works in AmE too.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks for your help, Paul Q and Miss Julie. I guess give somebody stick and the US version Miss Julie suggests are pretty much the same thing:D

Also, you mean fazed, not "phased."
    The unfortunate spelling mistake somehow got stuck in my head for a long time. Thanks for pointing it out~

Myridon

English - US
    I still have no idea what the Hong Kong crowd did in the original post. Could explain what any of these phrases mean? (I have doubts that Miss Julie's "give us dick" suggestion.)

Loob

English UK
    I still have no idea what the Hong Kong crowd did in the original post.
    I'm puzzled too. The various suggestions so far don't seem to accord with the definition redgiant found. Perhaps we need a comment from an AusE-speaker?

< Previous | Next >