glacial clays

< Previous | Next >

Masis

Bulgarian
Whatever different processes may have been involved - ramming, quarryng, dressing or bricklaying - every type of wall derived ultimately from its surrounding environment: either the stone of ancient Chinese mountains or the '' dust of China ''. This latter raw material was loess, a windblown deposit found in great abundance and derived from glacial clays and outwash.

Hello:). Please help me to translate what means glacial clay? I am not geologist and I can not understand. Thank you.

• Waylink

English (British)
    "Glacial clays" - clay is a type of earth/soil from which bricks and clay earthenware are made. After shaping, the clay is heated to high temperatures in a kiln and achieves great strength. In some countries where kilns are not readily available, bricks are dried in the sun but ar not generally as strong.

Glacial clays were formed by the movement of glaciers (very large movements of ice over land during the the ice age). Glaciers carried bit of rock, sand and impurities which became part of the clay formation.

See:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result

< Previous | Next >