glasses wedged into a cramped bar room corner begins as they all do

Vanloon

Hindi
508: Superpowers - This American Life

John Hodgman
This is all part of what I call the five stages of choosing your superpower. Sometimes, this process occurs in just moments. For example, subject A, a tallish man with glasses wedged into a cramped bar room corner begins as they all do, with stage 1-- gut reaction.
Man
Initially, I would think perhaps invisibility.

context: What do you want to have for superpowers between invisible and flying ability.
Q: I cannot imagine what that phase mean here. Thanks in advance!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The glasses are not wedged into a corner, the man is. But other than that, it doesn't make much sense to me either! Why is he in a bar? Why is that a good (or bad) place to choose a superpower?

Packard

USA, English
    "With" could be replaced by "wearing" and that might make it clear to you. Adding "was" might make it clearer to you also.

a tallish man with wearing glasses was wedged into a cramped bar room corner [ . . . ]

Here is the source document, note the advisory: 178: Superpowers - This American Life

Note: This American Life is produced for the ear and designed to be heard. If you are able, we strongly encourage you to listen to the audio, which includes emotion and emphasis that's not on the page. Transcripts are generated using a combination of speech recognition software and human transcribers, and may contain errors. Please check the corresponding audio before quoting in print.

< Previous | Next >