"gloomy little cobbler's shop hidden away..."

< Previous | Next >

pierdola

Sweden - Swedish and Polish
"The only plays that had accepted them was a gloomy little cobbler's shop hidden away under an old railway arch."

Is "hidden away" in the following extract a metaphor or a metonymy?

"hidden away" instead of "located"

Pierdola

• Trisia

Romanian
    Hi, pierdola.

We're not really supposed to do homework :) Why don't you tell us what you think first? (And then we'll tell us what we think. We're all here to learn anyway).

(And I think you meant "the only place," not "plays" - that's an example of homophony :D)

pierdola

Sweden - Swedish and Polish
    Hi, pierdola.

We're not really supposed to do homework :) Why don't you tell us what you think first? (And then we'll tell us what we think. We're all here to learn anyway).

(And I think you meant "the only place," not "plays" - that's an example of homophony :D)
    I've already written my suggestions as you can see. I think it's metonymy, but I'm not sure. It's just a way of using words with loaded connotations and meaning, right? And yeah, I meant "The only place...".
    I have terrible confidence when it comes to English, but I always do my own homework.

Thanks,
    Pierdola

Trisia

Romanian
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by suggesting this could be homework.

When I wrote that reply, I was pretty confident, but now I'm not too sure :(. I'll think about this. And I hope someone else has a good answer.

EDIT: I'm not sure yours is a clear-cut case, but I can't really see it as metonymy.

hidden away = located out of sight, not easily seen

Usually we'd use "hidden away" for objects. Smaller objects :D. Now, does the writer simply extend the normal use of "hidden" to houses, or should we consider this: building houses comes from a completely different area than hiding objects. Normally, when something is hidden away, it doesn't mean it's "located," it means "re-located somewhere it can't be seen." That shop wasn't originally built somewhere and then moved to be kept safer, was it? It looks like a metaphor to me.

So I'm awfully sorry, I don't think I can help you here.

< Previous | Next >