Glorified and exalted 'be' He above all

Dwishiren

Indonesia
How does "be" work here?
Glorified and exalted be He above all that they associate with Him (Qur'an 16:1)

• Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's a present subjunctive. It could also be expressed as "may He be glorified".

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    There are certain expressions with the subjunctive that most speakers of English know, even if they don't use them in everyday conversation. For example:

Long live the Queen! (This is the same structure as "X be he", that is, X + verb + subject.)
    Long may she reign!

Dwishiren

Indonesia
    I know. But what I was talking about is "may" would be strange if used with God, but it would sound OK if used "people". Ex.

Blessed be our people. And this sentence could be rewriten by including "may" May our people be blessed. Then, what about God?
    Glorified be God.
    Praised be God.
    I think adding "may" is weird because God is already glorified, the Almighty. If, however, I insert may in the two sentences, it means I pray to God so that He is glorified, praised. This is strange to me. What do u think?

JamesM

I know. But what I was talking about is "may" would be strange if used with God, but it would sound OK if used "people". Ex.

Blessed be our people. And this sentence could be rewriten by including "may" May our people be blessed. Then, what about God?
    Glorified be God.
    Praised be God.
    I think adding "may" is weird because God is already glorified, the Almighty. If, however, I insert may in the two sentences, it means I pray to God so that He is glorified, praised. This is strange to me. What do u think?
    As others have said, it means "may God be glorified", "may God be praised". It's quite a common theme in Christianity that one of the main functions of Man is to glorify and praise God.

< Previous | Next >