< Previous | Next >


Senior Member

The writer is drowning and expressing it by using the word <glub> apparently the spelling is wrong. There isn't such word in the dictionary. could the writer mean humor by using this word?
In the brief time it took me to write this paragraph, three more e-mails arrived. Now I have 115 unanswered e-mails. Strike that:116. Glub, glub, glub. (at the beginning of the paragraph the writer mentions that she is drowning because she has to many unanswered e-mails.)

From: I Remember nothing By Nora Ephron

  • Elwintee

    Senior Member
    England English
    Yes, it is clearly meant to be humorous. The word 'glub' is onomatopoeic, as it certainly conjures up the sound of some poor person swallowing water and drowning.


    Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Glub" is an onomatopoeic word used to describe underwater bubbles, liquid flowing out of a bottle, or -- as here -- the sounds of drowning. It is not in the WR dictionary, but a Google search brings up several definitions.

    [Cross-posted with Elwintee]
    < Previous | Next >