go all the way to

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

Why did Obama go all the way to the Arctic for an interview with Rolling Stone?
( The Washington Post By Paul Farhi )

1. Does "go all the way to" mean the Arctic is very far?
2. Does "go all the way to" mean the journey to Arctic is not easy?

Thank you.

• sdgraham

USA English
    Since Kotzebue, Alaska is 3,662 miles (5893.418 km) (great circle distance) from Washington D.C., the distance seems to be relevant.;)

As far as not being easy, is concerned, nothing is difficult when you have the entire resources of the U.S. Air Force, including Air Force One at your disposal.:cool:

George French

English - UK
    I go all the way to the village to buy my daily bread.

GF..

Now that's about a mile there and a mile back...
    The context determines whether the distance is considered not far, or too far to go without the car.

Etc.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    In this case it means "why did he go such a long way" - when he could have given the interview nearer (or indeed inside) the White House. "All the way", like a long way", is relative - as GF also said.

Me: Could you bring me my glasses please? I think I forgot them in the bedroom.
    My daughter: But Mum, I'll have to go all the way upstairs. (A distance of maybe 10 metres.)

Yes, if by 'context' you mean the person involved. "all the way" or "as far as" are relative to abilities. Hence I can say, "My 8-month-old crawled all the way to the next door neighbor's house."
    "My 90-year-old mother with a broken hip made it all the way from her room to the nursing station>"

I go all the way to the village to buy my daily bread.

GF..

Now that's about a mile there and a mile back...
    The context determines whether the distance is considered not far, or too far to go without the car.

Etc.

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    — And my investigation into assassination of JFK?
    — You found the evidence you were looking for?
    — Yes. I have proof right here in my pocket. It's big, honey. Really big. It goes all the way to the White House.

Hot Shots!, film

Hello, am I right that it means here "leads to/is linked to", implying the White House is involved?

Or does it just mean he's going to deliver it to the WH?

Thanks.

< Previous | Next >