Go and buy some decorations to decorate the pine tree.

• sdgraham

USA English
    ... but not here, in my pedantic and perhaps solitary opinion.

Go and buy some decorations to decorate for the pine tree

Side note: I cannot conceive of any reason why you'd want to decorate a pine tree, but I'm trusting that you know.

sdgraham

USA English
    Hi Tran

Language is more than vocabulary and grammar. In order for language to be an effective means of communication, it has to be logical and idiomatic as well.

Since we almost never decorate pine trees either growing in the forest our outside our homes, I suggested you might consider the content of your post. Perhaps you meant something else :confused:

Peter Tran

It is extracted from a lesson written by Vietnamese, I presume it means that someone goes outside and buy some things to decorate pine trees before Christmas holidays and it's so common in your country, right?

sdgraham

USA English
    It is extracted from a lesson written by Vietnamese, I presume it means that someone goes outside and buy some things to decorate pine trees before Christmas holidays and it's so common in your country, right?
    No, that is not quite correct.

We cut trees to bring inside and decorate for the Christmas holidays, but we call them "Christmas trees." Sometimes we decorate a tree outside in the same manner, but we still call it a "Christmas tree."

Additionally, the majority of Christmas trees in North America are fir trees, not pines.

(The Pacific Northwest, where I live, is the largest commercial producer of Christmas trees in North America)

... but we're off topic, now.

< Previous | Next >