go back/come back, bye for now, prepositions

camille23

france
Hi Everyone,

I need your help again !

Can you explain to me the difference between go back and come back ?
Example : Im in France ... and a friend of mine give me call.. what should I say to him : I came back or I went back to france 6 weeks ago.

The difference between bye now.. bye for now?

I love candies .. same for me or same as me ?

I haven t got a lot of credit on or in my phonecard.

Champagne is the right thing to drink for or on this day

Thank you so much

Camille

• zebedee

Gt. Britain - English
    Hi Camille,

Here are some answers to your questions.

camille23 said:
    Example : Im in France ... and a friend of mine give me call.. what should I say to him : I came back or I went back to france 6 weeks ago.
    Depends where the friend is who calls you. If you're both in France you'd use "I came back to France 6 weeks ago."

To avoid having to think which verb to use, why not use "to be back":
    "I've been back in France for 6 weeks now." then you don't have to worry about using go or come.

The difference between bye now.. bye for now?
    "Bye for now" implies that it's a very short goodbye and you'll see that person again very soon. "Bye now" is just a friendly form of "bye" which doesn't imply length of time.

I love candies .. same for me or same as me ?
    Two possibilities: It's the same for me. or She loves candies the same as me.

I haven't got a lot of credit on or in my phonecard.

Champagne is the right thing to drink for or on this day.
    cheers,
    zeb

whatonearth

UK, English
    camille23 said:
    Camille
    I'm not sure about the grammatical-correctness but in conversational English I would say "I came back", "I went back" sounds odd, like you are talking about yourself in the third-person or something...but as I said before, I would say "came back" but don't know how "correct" that is grammatically! :p

Amityville

English UK
    From your friend's point of view, you went back, camille23. From your own point of view you came back. You should say 'I came back.'

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    camille23 said:
    Example : I'm in France ... and a friend of mine gives me call.. what should I say to him : I came back or I went back to france 6 weeks ago.
    Definitely "I came back".

"I went back to France six weeks ago," only makes sense if I have been to France at least once before the six weeks ago visit; I travelled to France six weeks ago; and I am not in France now.

Adding: Hi Amity - another "twilight zone" moment:eek:

MarkLondres

England/English
    Amityville said:
    From your friend's point of view, you went back, camille23. From your own point of view you came back. You should say 'I came back.'
    i think this depends on where you started from and where you went to & the present location you are in when you say this, also to a degree where you came from initially.

presuming camille is french and she lives and works in england. According to her, she occasionally "goes back" to france. But her family in France would say that she occasionally "comes back" although it is the same journey, in this sense she is coming and going in the minds of different people at the same time.

Herein lies the determination whether she is coming or going.

In France with her family, all would be in agreement that she has "come back" "I have come back... yes camille you have come back" Camille at this point in time and in this location has "Come back" rather than "gone back"

Suppose camilla has two friends in London one of which isn´t aware that she is in France.

Friend A "where is camilla?"
    Friend B "She has gone back to france

So although Camille is now in France a place to which she thinks she has come back, her friends still consider that she has actually gone back [to france]

Life would be much simpler however if she stopped all this coming and going and simply "returned to france"

camille23

france
    Hi,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I ve just figured out that you replied a few weeks ago !!

I m confused again about a few sentences !!

Do you mind ?

I m confused about this one same as or same for. Here are some more details :
    When is your birthday ? the 11th January
    same as me ! I don t know if it s right ?!

I prefer summer to winter as or like everyone else.

Last one : THere is a customer at my desk who forgot to fill up a form so i told him to fill it up first then come back to my desk or come back to me ?

THank you so much.

I know that it sounds a bit weird !

Camille

< Previous | Next >