Go climb your thumb

< Previous | Next >

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
Hello,

I would like to know what does "go climb your thumb" mean. Below there are a couple of sentences which contain this expression.

From http://www.smallvillefanfic.com/arch...fidential.html

So the kitten had claws after all. I took a step back, packing a peace branch and trying not to pity how sour this puss had gotten. "I'm only trying to help."
"Go climb your thumb, I don't need your help..."

From http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonath.../Huckabee.html

Hey troy boy, go climb your thumb, ya little puke.

My suggestion is that it means an euphemism for "go fuck yourself". Am I right?

Last edited:
  • xqby

English (U.S.)
    I suppose you could link it to that, but the less profane phrase which comes to my mind is "go jump in a lake."
    The speaker wants the other person to leave, that's about all that it means.

Scribblerr

English US
    I've never heard this saying. Perhaps it's something the writers made up for that specific character to say in the hopes that it would catch on as a catch phrase.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Yes, that's how I understand it. I've never heard this particular phrase before but it's obviously related to "go sit on your thumb and spin" and "stick your thumb up your bum" which both mean "go eff yourself".

kalamazoo

US, English
    I've never heard this saying either. It seems to mean 'get out of here' or 'leave me alone' or 'butt out' or 'go eff yourself' but I don't think it's very precise as to the degree of vulgarity intended.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Wow! I had to search a while to find this one. It's old slang from the 'hard-boiled' gangster era. Whether it was invented just for these types of novels or based on actual slang, I don't know. But, The Hard-Boiled dictionary says it means 'go fly a kite or stick your thumb up your [posterior]'.

ewie

English English
    Hello Spoh:) I'd never come across it before either. I must admit I had to sit and think about it for 5 minutes before I saw the connexion between go climb your thumb and go swivel [= Dimcl's go sit on your thumb and spin, post #4]. It's vulgar, yes, but as it doesn't actually contain any vulgar words, I'd say it's not nearly as vulgar as Go fuck yourself.

spohreis

Portuguese-Brazil
    Hello Spoh:) I'd never come across it before either. I must admit I had to sit and think about it for 5 minutes before I saw the connexion between go climb your thumb and go swivel [= Dimcl's go sit on your thumb and spin, post #4]. It's vulgar, yes, but as it doesn't actually contain any vulgar words, I'd say it's not nearly as vulgar as Go fuck yourself.
    Thanks ewie, let's see how my countrymen will help me to translate that to portuguese.:) Sorry, I am thinking in Portuguese and writing in English.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    It's new to me also. I agree with those who have suggested that it may mean either of

1) go away, get out of here, get lost, go play in traffic, etc.

2) Do anatomically difficult things! Go fuck yourself.

My first thought on reading the thread title was of an expression a friend taught me
    many decades ago: Sit on it and rotate! As ewie says, it is obviously vulgar, but doesn't use vulgar words.

Packard

USA, English
    I Googled "go climb your thumb" (in quotation marks) and got 175 hits.

Many of these were within manuscripts--one apparently from "Scarecrow and Mrs. King" (from the late 1980s).

Some others were in posts to websites so this is in current usage amongst a very few.

I've never heard it before and I think I've seen all the "Scarecrow" episodes too.

< Previous | Next >