go down the line

frigeur

italian-italy
Hi!
Does "go down the line" means to continue doing smth? I have some examples:

• If we could just focus and go down the line, and everyone would say, "Apology accepted,"...
  • I asked you at the beginning of this film, that I need you to go down the line for me. - And I'm not going down the line?
  • Hetty's going down the line for you and so am I.
  • People are only good till they get screwed over. You screwed me. I screwed the next person, and I'm sure they screwed somebody else, and it just kept going down the line.
  • My brother went straight down the line. (I believe this one has a different meaning though)

• heypresto

English - England
    The first and fourth instances probably mean 'go from one person to the next', but the source of the sentences and some context would help. (And comply with the rules of the forum.)

frigeur

italian-italy
    Hi!
    Does "go down the line" means to continue doing smth? I have some examples:

• If we could just focus and go down the line, and everyone would say, "Apology accepted,"...
    • I asked you at the beginning of this film, that I need you to go down the line for me. - And I'm not going down the line?
    • Hetty's going down the line for you and so am I.
    • People are only good till they get screwed over. You screwed me. I screwed the next person, and I'm sure they screwed somebody else, and it just kept going down the line.
    • My brother went straight down the line. (I believe this one has a different meaning though)
    the first one is from
    The Office (US) s05e24

-So from the bottom of my heart To the top of my heart, i am sorry.
    -Are you giving us our clients back?
    - If we could just focus and go down the line, And everyone would say, "apology accepted," I think we would all feel better. And then we can break out my gift to you-- Complimentary white chocolate bark.
    -Nobody likes that stuff except for you.
    -They wouldn't make it unless people liked it.
    -Michael, just give us our clients back. That's all we care about.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Well, I am none the wiser. What does Michael(?) want to focus on? What is this apology that is to be accepted by everyone? Who is "everyone"?

frigeur

italian-italy
    Honestly I didn't watch it. I guess because of Michael employees lost their clients and Michael was givivng his apologies like "go down the line"

Can you give me an example where this phrase can be used, please?

heypresto

English - England
    You've evidently found some examples, but without knowing where they are from and the context in which they are said, it's not easy to say what they might mean.

< Previous | Next >