go dumb vs go mute

< Previous | Next >

Peter71

Korean
When I want say. like go deaf, go blind. Someone cannot speak after an accident not natually.
How can I say He went dumb. or He went mute?

Last edited:
  • Peter71

Korean
    When I want say. like go deaf, go blind. Someone cannot speak after an accident not natually.
    How can I say go dumb or go mute?
    Please try to make a full sentence using one of those phrases and we will try to help.
    I'm sorry. I am a beginner in English. So sometimes I make mistake even you take it granted.
    I'm really sorry but I didn't mean it. and I thank for your help a lot. ^____^

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Dumb' more commonly means "stupid" today, so it is better to avoid that word and say 'mute'. 'Go mute' doesn't sound very natural compared to 'go blind' and 'go deaf'. But perhaps that's because it doesn't happen very often in real life.

Barque

Tamil
    I'm sorry. I am a beginner in English. So sometimes I make mistake even you take it granted.
    I'm really sorry but I didn't mean it. and I thank for your help a lot.
    You don't have to apologise for being a beginner.

I asked you for a sentence because it makes it easier to advise on correct usage. But I realise now, from Entangledbank's post, that your question could have been answered as it was. Hope you've found what you were looking for.

lingobingo

English - England
    Agreeing with entangledbank, I don’t think anyone would say “go dumb” or “go mute” in the same way as they say go blind or deaf. In the unlikely event of it happening, it would probably be described as “becoming mute/unable to speak”.

There is an adjective, “dumbstruck”, but that’s only used figuratively, in relation to temporarily finding oneself “lost for words” due to some kind of shock.

< Previous | Next >