Go get that barf bag

JungKim

Korean
Is it possible for 'barf bag' to refer to a person?

Context: In the animation movie 'Despicable Me 3', Balthazar Bratt, a supervillain, said, "Bratt Pack, go get that barf bag," where "Bratt Pack" seems to refer to hundreds of miniature robots, and Bratt is ordering them to attack the protagonist, Gru. So I assume 'that barf bag' to be Gru. If so, Bratt is using 'barf bag' to refer to a person.

If it refers to a person, does 'barf bag' mean someone unpleasant?

• Barque

Tamil
    A barf bag is a bag that a person can vomit (barf) into if he doesn't have ready access to a bathroom.

A used barf bag contains something unpleasant and so it can also be used to refer to someone the speaker finds unpleasant.

suzi br

English / England
    Is it possible for 'barf bag' to refer to a person?

Context: In the animation movie 'Despicable Me 3', Balthazar Bratt, a supervillain, said, "Bratt Pack, go get that barf bag," where "Bratt Pack" seems to refer to hundreds of miniature robots, and Bratt is ordering them to attack the protagonist, Gru. So I assume 'that barf bag' to be Gru. If so, Bratt is using 'barf bag' to refer to a person.

If it refers to a person, does 'barf bag' mean someone unpleasant?
    In your own language would it be polite or respectful to call someone a "vomit-bag" surely that is not culturally specific. :D

JungKim

Korean
    For what it's worth, I've heard of an unpleasant person being called a 'scumbag' but never a 'barf bag'.

suzi br

English / England
    That's not to say I have ever heard this used as an insult - I don't use "barf" as slang for vomit. It started in AE but I think it is used in the UK too.

< Previous | Next >