go in after somebody

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
He had been missing for the past two hours. We thought it was about time we went into the mansion and started searching. We all went in after him.
(My rendition)
Hello,

I was just wondering if 'went in for him' would be more like it here. (I know 'We all went in in search of him' or something would sound more fitting ...)

Thanks,

Hiro

• suzi br

English / England
    There is something a little odd in it to me. Maybe about the multiple meanings of "after" - it is often used to denote a sequence in time (After two hours we decided to go and look for him).
    If you want it to denote the act of searching you'd be better off using verb that is more specific like to look or to search etc. In fact you already know this, so I cannot see why you want to say something less effective!

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    Suzi, thanks! I'm interested in the usage of 'after' in terms of regionalism. I initially somewhat imagined AE used more 'after' in the sense of 'wanting.'

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Suzi, thanks! I'm interested in the usage of 'after' in terms of regionalism. I initially somewhat imagined AE uses more 'after' in the sense of 'wanting.'
    Ah.

Well, we can use it for "wanting" in the UK. e.g. "I'm after a pair of shoes to go with my new dress". That suggests a seeking action.

I still think it sounds a bit odd in your OP though - possibly because of the time reference made at the start of the the text.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    It sounds a bit oddly ambiguous to me in that original sentence, because "after him" could equate to either following him in or in search of him.

The context presumably denotes that it's the latter, but I think you could usefully re-phrase it to make that distinction clearer. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    Well, we can use it for "wanting" in the UK. e.g. "I'm after a pair of shoes to go with my new dress". That suggests a seeking action.
    :tick::tick:
    The same in AE, where a hunter might say, "I'm after the biggest buck in the territory."

From our dictionary for after

"in pursuit or search of: I'm after a better paying job."

kentix

English - U.S.
    I think the idea of "going in after him" meaning to search for him is fine. The sentences you wrote to execute this concept are a little awkwardly written so it doesn't sound as smooth as it could. But the concept is sound.

"after" is much better than "for" here, at least in AE.

< Previous | Next >