go+ ing vs do+ing [e.g. go joggin / do jogging]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Criscelta, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Criscelta New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hi, this is my first visit to this forum and wonder what the difference is -if there is any- between using go+ing such as go jogging and do+ing such as do jogging. Thank you.

2. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    Hello and welcome.

You cannot say "do jogging". Some actions take "go", some take "do" etc.

3. Criscelta New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you for your reply but I would swear I´ve seen "to do some jogging" somewhere on the internet (?). Furthermore, an English teacher has told me that you can use do cycling or go cycling with a difference of meaning. The first one means that someone does such an activity as a profession where to go cycling is used when it implies a hobby. Can you or anyone else confirm this? Many thanks.

4. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    Nope, but I can deny it, if that helps.
    I wouldn't say that Lance Armstrong "does cycling," for instance. That doesn't sound quite right. He's a cyclist.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I don't have a problem with "do jogging".

Loob's best friend to Loob: you really need to take some exercise - you're horribly overweight.

Loob to former best friend: I suppose I could do some jogging.

6. Chinoise Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin
    I'd second what XQBY said. It's more of a slang when people say "to do some jogging", although it is not the correct way of saying it, a lot of people say it anyway.

Kind of like the origin of "long time no see", everyone knows it's not correct, but because a lot of people use it, it becomes part of everyday English.

In another words, when you say the phrase "do some jogging" in a informal setting, talking to your friends, that's fine. But when you are writing an essay in school, or when describing your hobby in a professional setting, it is not recommended.

And by the way, in the online community, people often say "do some jogging", but never "do jogging". Can't explain you why since it's slang.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I disagree, Chinoise: I can't see that "do some jogging" is any more slang than "do some sketching" or "do some writing". Mind you, I'm still working on Criscelta's original question:D

OH - and welcome to the forums - to both Criscelta and Chinoise!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  8. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    Perhaps a difference in dialect, then.

Loob's American best friend to bizarre American Loob doppleganger:
    you really need to exercise - you're horribly overweight
    American Loob:
    I suppose I could start jogging.

Something more along those lines. I wouldn't say that I take exercise, nor that I do jogging.

9. Chinoise Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin

Thank you Loob! :)

You are right, "do some jogging" is on the same level as "do some sketching" or "do some (whatever)" in slangs.

My point was, it's not recommended to be used in a professional or formal setting. It's perfectly OK to use in a conversation with your friends.

I hope that helps.

10. Chinoise Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin
    Oh, and attempting to answer Criscelta's original question:

"go jogging" is correct, "do jogging" is not.

example:

"Hey I am going to go jogging tomorrow morning at 5 a.m." -- correct

v.s.

"Hey I am going to do jogging tomorrow morning at 5 a.m." -- incorrect

11. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Looking at the comments so far, those who protest that "do jogging" is OK don't actually give examples of its use. The examples are "do some jogging".

I wouldn't say "do jogging", but I don't think there is anything especially casual about "do some jogging" and it is certainly not slang.

12. Criscelta New Member

Spanish - Spain
    OK guys, thank you all for your help and replies.
    Now then, when or with what activities do you use go+ing and do+ing? I mean, is there a rule? Thank you very much again

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Am I protesting, panj? I apologise, if so ...

I've been looking back at previous threads that seem to be relevant:
    do/go sightseeing
    go jogging/shopping//do some jogging/shopping
    to do or go boxing
    to do skateboarding vs to go skateboarding
    to go shopping/ to do the shopping

The theme that seems to emerge is that "do some x-ing"/"do the x-ing" represents a chore, a duty; whereas "go x-ing" is more likely to imply something enjoyable.

There are some similarities between this distinction and that drawn by Criscelta's English teacher.

I watch this space!:)

14. lablady

lablady Senior Member

Central California
    English - USA
    I have been thinking and thinking, but I can't come up with any example of when I would use just "do x-ing". I would always put "the" or "some" in between. I think that is the gist of the question and Panj's comment. If anyone is able to come up with an example of "do x-ing" (without "some" or "the"), I will happily allow myself to be corrected. :)

The example threads that Loob gave all say that the preference when using "do" is to include "some" or "the".

Do jogging - doesn't sound right to me.
    Do some jogging - sounds ok.
    Do the jogging - you're right, Loob, it sounds like a chore. :D

15. Criscelta New Member

Spanish - Spain
    Hello everyone,
    Thank you so much for all of your help. I have checked in a book called "Practical English Usage" and the answers it gives are:
    To do + ing refers to house chores and hobbies and the -ing part is usually preceeded by a determiner such as "some/the" etc. just as some of you have pointed out e.g. to do the washing up, the shopping, some cycling, jogging. Go +ing is used to talk about activities in which people move about and which do not have a fixed beginning or end e.g go climbing, fishing, walking, shopping....The structure is common in expressions referring to sport and leisure activities.

Thanks again. If anyone of you needs any help with Spanish, I will also try to help you in the appropriate forum.
    Bye for now.