go into the melting pot

< Previous | Next >

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi, all, according to the dictionary, "melting pot" means:

1.a pot in which metals or other substances are melted or fused.
2. a country, locality, or situation in which a blending of races, peoples, or cultures is taking place.

And I also heard someone call USA "melting pot", but what does "go into the melting pot" mean? Here is the context:

"The three presentations have given us real food for thought and all those ideas will go into the melting pot before we produce a final proposal to take back to full council later this month."
Does it mean to face the test of being combining into another ideas in the context I provided?
Thanks

• michael_g

English (USA)
    Hi,

Go into the melting pot, in this example, means that the three presentations will be reviewed, discussed, and probably debated, before a summary of the presentations is presented to the council later this month.

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
    As an added note, I consider your example to be a misused metaphor and as such, I understand your problem.
    Hi, SD, would you mind be so kind as to tell me where the problem is, I mean the awkward metaphor? Because your help can teach me something. Thanks

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "The three presentations have given us real food for thought and all those ideas will go into the melting pot..."

I don't have a problem with this use of melting pot.
    "We" have lots of ideas.
    The presentations have included lots more ideas.
    We chuck them all into the melting pot.
    From this will emerge a set of solid proposals that no doubt include elements of all the suggestions that were chucked into the pot.

< Previous | Next >