go jogging

Discussion in 'English Only' started by mimi2, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi,
    1. Ly goes jogging.
    2. Ly jogs.
    Please tell me the difference between the two sentences.
    Thanks.

2. dhunterp Member

USA --- English
    The second sentence is shorter. :) There is not much difference.

The second sentence generally means that Ly jogs a lot, every day, or as a hobby. The first sentence is less common in spoken English, and is usually followed by something like every day or at the park.

3. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Hi Mimi. This one would help with some context but, as Dhunterp says, "Ly goes jogging" is too specific to be left as is. The sentence is incomplete. "Ly jogs" means that it is something he does regularly or that it's just a part of his life.

4. mimi2 Senior Member

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Dimcl and dhunterp, for kind help.

5. coiffe

coiffe Senior Member

USA
    American English
    Hi Mimi,

#1 "Ly goes jogging" would not stand alone, as has already been mentioned; unless it's the title to a chapter in a book, for example. Otherwise it's not a standalone sentence.

#2 "Ly jogs." can be stand-alone sentence, for example:

"Why is Ly so healthy?"
    "Ly jogs."

6. chat9998 Senior Member

Michigan
    English, US
    Hi coiffe,

I could see "Ly goes jogging" being an answer to that question (Why is Ly so healthy), too - if it is some sort of affirmation or something. For instance:

Why is Ly so healthy?
    [Well,] Ly goes jogging.

But like you all said, it wouldn't normally function on its own.

7. coiffe

coiffe Senior Member

USA
    American English
    No, as dhunterp said and dimcl intimated, you'd have to say "Ly goes jogging every day." It's incomplete as it stands.

Well, maybe you wouldn't HAVE to -- but I'd bet 90% of anglophones would.

8. chat9998 Senior Member

Michigan
    English, US
    Well, I'm one of those odd 10% - or at least, the percentage that would accept such a sentence. It's hard to say whether I'd actually say it... but in a casual setting, where the other person already knows the information, it seems like it could function by itself, as kind of like a reminder. But maybe I'm just weird. :)

9. coiffe

coiffe Senior Member

USA
    American English
    Actually I am sure you're right. But far more common would certainly be "He jogs." "He works out." "He jumps rope."