go off

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
flash
a special bright light used when taking photographs indoors or when there is not much light:
Did the flash go off?

Longman dictionary

1. Is that a phrasal verb or verb+adverb here?
2. What does it mean?
Thank you.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    To "go off" in this context would be related to all three of the below:

go off
    go off, [no object]
    • to explode:The bomb went off.

• to make a loud noise:What time will the alarm go off?

• (of what has been expected or planned) to happen:The party went off exactly as we hoped.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Thank you.
    I asked because I thought it could mean this:
    if something such as a light or an electricity supply goes off, it stops working or being available: All the lights in the building suddenly went off.

Myridon

English - US
    Flashes on cameras flash - they come on for a fraction of a second and go off by themselves. They don't stay on for a while and then fail.

Myridon

English - US
    In other words, I just thought it could mean that the flash broke down...:)
    The only way you can tell if a flash is not working is if it doesn't come on at all. If it works (activates, fires, triggers, goes off), it comes on and goes off (ceases to provide light). If it fails, it doesn't come on. Going off (ceasing to provide light) is part of its normal function when it goes off (activates, fires, triggers). ;)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The only way you can tell if a flash is not working is if it doesn't come on at all. If it works (activates, fires, triggers, goes off), it comes on and goes off (ceases to provide light). If it fails, it doesn't come on. Going off (ceasing to provide light) is part of its normal function when it goes off (activates, fires, triggers). ;)
    The red part is what I thought it could mean. Like, someone was going to take a photo but the flash didn't work at all and s/he asked Did the flash go off? -- This is the way I misunderstood the example.:D
    Thank you.

< Previous | Next >