go on a excursion

< Previous | Next >

tablecloth

Spanish
Hello!
I've just read the expression go on an excursion in another thread and I've started this one immediately. I am very worried because I have always corrected that sentence and changed it for "go on a trip" Was I wrong? Will my students forgive me?
Thank you for your help

• audiolaik

Polish
    Off the top of my head, an excursion is a short journey for pleasue in the main, while a trip is a general term for a short journey form which you come back.
    In fact, it depends on context, as usual:)!

Hope it helps!

p.s. Wait for some native speakers! They will probably be more helpful.

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The Latin root of this word meant "to run out", and the term originally would have referred to such things as a raid or a sally by troops. By extension, the word came to mean any short trip, and usually a short pleasure trip. Excursions can be part of longer trips:

I took a two-week-long trip to Madrid, and one day went on an excursion to El Escorial.

tablecloth

Spanish
    Thank you very much. The problem with the word "excursion" is that it is identical to the Spanish "excursión" so here the word "trip" is very seldom used. So, I tried to encourage the use of "trip", "day trip", "tripper" and completely forgot, if I ever knew it, the expression "go on a excursion".
    My apologies and thank you all.

< Previous | Next >