Go on vacation, go on holiday

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Alaor Santos, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Alaor Santos Senior Member

Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
    Portuguese Brazil
    Hi everyone!

When I say 'I am going on vacation...', does it mean I will necessarily go away to a place far from my home or that I am just starting my free period from work or school?

Thank you

2. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    It means the latter. During the vacation time, you may or may not be traveling away from home.

3. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
  4. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Vacation vs. holiday is definitely an AmE-BE thing. But like the AmE vacation, I don't think the BE holiday necessarily implies travel.

5. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    Dear all,

My boyfriend and I are going on a vacation for the first time this summer. I'm psyched!

I made it up. Isn't the bold part implying they're going away somewhere this summer, aside from it's a short trip or a long one?

6. Susan Y Senior Member

Australia
    British English
    I think to go on holiday/ vacation generally means that, yes, you are travelling somewhere.

To be on holiday/vacation means that you are at leisure (not at work), whether at home or away.

But, I agree that if it is the very start of your holiday/vacation you could use "go"- even if you will be staying at home- in the sense of going away from your workplace. I would only say it to the workmates I was leaving at the office:

"I'm going on holiday after today, so I won't be at that meeting on Monday".

7. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I don't quite agree with Susan.
    In the last example I would say 'I'm going to be on holiday after today'.
    In my opinion 'I'm going on holiday' does imply travel.

8. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you very much, Suzan and Bevj!

9. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    As long as we're on he subject, a new word has come into use lately (AmE) for people who stay home for their vacation: "staycation."

It includes local activities such as shows, restaurants, etc., but not travel to another city.

10. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    Thank goodness that it's an AE invention, since 'stayliday' sounds even worse :rolleyes:

11. wanabee Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you very much, Mutt and Bevj!

12. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    If I say,

The holidays are around the corner,

would that be all right? To refer to my days off when I go on holiday / vacation?

13. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    This would be interpreted in AE as "Christmas and New Year's are almost here."

14. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Yes, I wondered about that, and yet I found this example in a book talking about a period of time in the summer when a number of people took their vacations, rather than the winter holidays.

So I should probably stick to
    My holiday / vacation is around the corner.

Hm. Or something like "Our holidays are around the corner."

15. AnythingGoes Senior Member

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Yes.