go (straight, directly, through, nonstop) to the station

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

1. If you take this train, you can go straight from A station to B station.
2. If you take this train, you can go directly from A station to B station.
3. If you take this train, you can go through from A station to B station.
4. If you take this train, you can go nonstop from A station to B station.

All the sentences above clearly suggest that you don't need to change trains until B station.
Sentence 4. also indicates "this train doesn't stop at any station until it arrives at B station."

My question is whether or not Sentence 1. and 2. could mean that this train doen't stop at any station until it arrives at B station: in other words, if Sentence 1. and 2. are ambiguous or not.

I would appreciate any comments.

(I created all the sentences.)

Last edited:
  • Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    Personally, I would not assume that 1. and 2, nor 3. mean the train is a "fast" (non-stop) one, but simply that you would not have to change trains between stations A and B.

wanabee

Japanese
    Personally, I would not assume that 1. and 2, nor 3. mean the train is a "fast" (non-stop) one, but simply that you would not have to change trains between stations A and B.
    Thank you very much, Franco-filly and sound shift. :)
    I see.

Then how about these examples?
    The elevator on the right goes straight from the ground floor to the top floor.
    The elevator on the right goes directly from the ground floor to the top floor.

sound shift

English - England
    Thank you very much, Franco-filly and sound shift. :)
    I see.

Then how about these examples?
    The elevator on the right goes straight from the ground floor to the top floor.
    The elevator on the right goes directly from the ground floor to the top floor.
    Both of those tell me that the elevator doesn't stop en route. The implication is different in the case of a train because of the possibility of changing trains and the impossibility of changing elevators (lifts), plus the fact that trains don't go in a straight line, whereas elevators do.

< Previous | Next >