Go study / go studying / go to study

kachibi

Chinese
To me, the following are acceptable:

1) go studying
2) go to study

But why "go study"? Is it the same as "go shopping" in which "shopping" is a noun? But I guess not, cause I do see people use "go study mathematics" in which "study" here is like a verb.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I wonder if this is a BrE/AE difference.
    'Go study' doesn't sound correct to me; I would say 'go and study' in the case of an imperative.
    However, kachibi's question doesn't really make it clear if he is referring to imperative use, a complete sentence or more context would be helpful.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I wonder if this is a BrE/AE difference.
    'Go study' doesn't sound correct to me; I would say 'go and study' in the case of an imperative.
    Indeed - "Go <verb>" is an AE structure, as I understand it.
    However, kachibi's question doesn't really make it clear if he is referring to imperative use, a complete sentence or more context would be helpful.
    Indeed, again :)

kachibi:
    Please provide context and background to your question, and post complete sentences as examples.

kachibi

Chinese
    Oh sorry!
    The sentence i saw is "I have to go study now." << I guess this is not imperative right?
    Or is it just an AE form as what Panjandrum and Bevj said? Cause I saw this in an American movie.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    "To go study" is different from "go study." "To go" is an infinitive. However, "to go <"bare infinitive" [without "to"] of selected verb>" is idiomatic in American English to mean "go somewhere and then perform the action of the following verb." It doesn't work with every verb, but it does work with "study."

We don't do exhaustive lists here, and I don't have one for "go <verb>," but some other examples that I can think of that would be idiomatic in spoken American English are:
    "I have to hang up now and go put out a fire."
    "I have to go meet my boyfriend."
    "The world would be better off without you, why don't you go play in the street?" (and get run over by an automobile:().

< Previous | Next >