go that far

coppergirl

USA/English
Ciao a tutti

Come si dice in italiano "to go that far"?

Ad esempio, "I knew he was upset, but I never thought he would go that far".

Sapevo che era sconvolto, ma non credevo mai che lui ??????"

Any ideas out there?

Thanks! :)

• Ciao a tutti

Come si dice in italiano "to go that far"?

Ad esempio, "I knew he was upset, but I never thought he would go that far".

Sapevo che era sconvolto, ma non credevo mai che lui ??????"

Any ideas out there?

Thanks! :)
    Good afternoon lady coppergirl,

Here is what I would say:

Sapevo che era sconvolto, ma non avrei mai creduto che sarebbe arrivato fino a quel punto.

Ciao Ciao

kan3malato

Italia/Italiano
    Ciao.
    I've just Googled "to get that far"(just to see if It exist) and of curse It exist since I got 271.000 hits.
    Now the question is, do they(go/get that far) have always the same meaning?Are they interchangeable?
    Thanks.

giovannino

Italian, Neapolitan
    I've just Googled "to get that far"(just to see if It exist) and of curse It exist since I got 271.000 hits.
    Now the question is, do they(go/get that far) have always the same meaning?Are they interchangeable?
    Actually Kan asked a very good question. I'd like to hear from native speakers but I'd hazard the guess that in the sense of doing something extreme (as in coppergirl's example) only "go that far" is used, whereas "get that far" would be used literally, to talk about distance (I didn't expect that runner to get that far -- he was out of shape), to talk about progress in one's studies (He's completed two years at university successfully. When I taught him at school I didn't expect he'd get that far) etc.
    What about "becoming successful"? Can you say "he didn't get that far without pulling a few strings"?

coppergirl

USA/English
    Hi again

Well, in English, "to get that far" exists but it can have a different meaning than "to go that far", because the meanings of these depend on the context.

In general, both can mean what they literally look like---to make physical progress in a task, such as a race or competition.

Both can also have other meanings which are not so literal but more idiomatic.

Here are some exmaples . . .

Physical or literal progress

- I didn't get that far in the exam, because I broke my pencil and had to find another.

- I was going to the library, but I didn't get that far because the car broke down.

- He may make a good teacher but as for becomming headmaster, I don't think he'll go that far.

Idiomatic meanings, usually interpersonal or personal progress-related

- I tried to explain it to my boss, but I didn't get that far with him.

(meaning: the boss didn't really appreciate the point I was trying to make and so I didn't really get through to him)

- I will invite her to the party but as for being friends, well, I'm not sure I want to go that far.

(meaning: I will be polite, but I am not really sure that I am going to go all the way to being friends with her).

- They went out one evening, but he didn't get that far with her from what he says. (meaning: use your imaginations! ;))

Hope that helps a bit.

antoit

Italian
    Ciao, volevo aggiungere una domanda a questo interessante argomento. Come tradurre in italiano "I wouldn't go that far"?
    Ecco la frase "I wouldn't go that far but yes, sometimes texting is preferable because you've got a bit more time to respond". Non c'e' testo prima di questo "I wouldn't".
    Il mio tentativo è "Non vorrei arrivare a dire tanto, ma...". Confermate?
    Inoltre volevo chiedervi se posso iniziare un discorso con "I wouldn't go that far" (come il caso in esame). Questa espressione presuppone un dialogo antecedente e dunque è usata per esprimere un'opinione su qualcosa che è già stato detto?
    Grazie.

In questo caso mi sembra che manchi una frase precedente che spieghi l'uso di I woudn't go that far in quanto l'avversativa che segue appare un poco troppo debole per giustificare l'uso della frase in oggetto.

Se fosse "I wouldn't go that far but some says that you should never ever reply verbally in such situations" avrebbe più senso. La tua frase sembrerebbe richiedere una frase precedente del tipo:

"Some says that you should never ever reply verbally in such situations. I wouldn't go that far, but yes, sometimes texting is preferable because you've got a bit more time to respond".

< Previous | Next >