go the way and leather bookmark

apblopes

Portuguese, Brazil
Hi,
in this:
His implication is that that intricate process may go the way of the leather bookmark, as the notion of author as authoritarian figure gives way to a Web 2.0 wisdom-of-the-crowds process.
I'd ask:
1) what does "go the way" mean?
2) does 'leather bookmark' has a special meaning?
Thanks

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    The writer seems to think that leather bookmarks are old-fashioned things that were used at one time but which are not seen today. Since some people still use leather bookmarks, and leather bookmarks do not have particular association with times that are completely gone, it might have been more appropriate to name something more obviously out-of-date:

gone the way of the dodo and the passenger pigeon...
    gone the way of corsets and high-button shoes...
    gone the way of the 8-track tape...
    gone the way of the Brazilian monarchy...

Unknoewn13

English - American
    "Go the way" means "follow the path of."

For example, if your father is a lawyer, then if you wanted to go the way of your father, you would be trying to become a lawyer, too.

Leather bookmark does not have a special meaning, but I'm not sure how it's being used metaphorically. I would assume that a leather bookmark is something that has become outdated, and thus if the process goes the way of the leather bookmark, it too will become outdated. I'm assuming the process has something to do with writing in the literary sense compared to writing online, but I don't know the context.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with Unknoewn's explanation of the phrase, and with GWB's evaluation of the comparison.

The "intricate process" to which the quote refers is the individual authorship of books, as, in various ways, readers participate in the creation of texts. That is why the speaker made this particular comparison, thus demonstrating why some of us would prefer to read texts produced by competent individual authors.

SOURCE of quote.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >