go three quarters to one turn further

Murphy

English, UK
Hi,
I'm trying to translate some instructions for adjusting the setting on an engine and I really don't know how to express this in Italian.

Talking about tightening nuts and bolts, he says:

"...tighten it down until it is quiet, then go three quarters to one turn further and you're done."

My attempt:
"avvitalo fino a quando non fa più rumore, poi fai un'altra rotazione di almeno tre quarti fino a una completa :eek: e hai finito"

I'm totally stumped:( Any suggestions?

• brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Hey Murphy,

First you need to fix up the "until" part. Remember that, just like "a meno che," the expression "fino a quando" takes a "non", so what you're actually saying with "fino a quando non fa più rumore" is "until it makes more noise". :eek:

One possibility: avvitare fino a quando non smette di fare rumore

As for the second part, maybe: poi avvitare altri tre quarti di giro fino ad un giro completo.

eh.. difficult...

edit: I spent too much time thinking, and I was late. :D

Nicholas the Italian

Italian
    Hey Murphy,

First you need to fix up the "until" part. Remember that, just like "a meno che," the expression "fino a quando" takes a "non", so what you're actually saying with "fino a quando non fa più rumore" is "until it makes more noise". :eek:

Both versions are okay.

I'd also suggest using 270°/360° instead of the more convoluted "3/4 di giro o al massimo un giro".

One last remark (as brian noticed): instructions usually use impersonal or 2nd plural form: avvitare/fare, oppure avvitate/fate. Using "tu" makes it a blatant translation from English. Just so you know. :D

Last edited:

Murphy

English, UK
    I'd also suggest using 270°/360° instead of the more convoluted "3/4 di giro o al massimo un giro".

One last remark (as brian noticed): instructions usually use impersonal or 2nd plural form: avvitare/fare, oppure avvitate/fate. Using "tu" makes it a blatant translation from English. Just so you know. :D
    Thanks. I was initially going to use the impersonal form but these instructions actually come from an internet forum and were in answer to a specific question, so in the end I opted for a more literal version using the "tu" form. That's also the reason why the original English is so informal...:)

effeundici

Italian - Tuscany
    Hey Murphy,

Hi, Brian, that is a tricky sentence which can mean both your version and Murphy's version. But actually Murphy's version is the more natural. Anyway, in order to avoid possible misunderstanding, your versione is perfect

avvitalo fino a quando non fa più ---- rumore
    avvitalo fino a quando non fa ----- più rumore

As for the second part, maybe: poi avvitare altri tre quarti di giro fino ad un giro completo. mmmhhh, not very clear, honestly

eh.. difficult...

edit: I spent too much time thinking, and I was late. :D

< Previous | Next >