Go to Germany = Visit Germany

Happyweekend

Korean
Hello members! Happy Monday!

If I want to visit Germany for pleasure, can I say 'I want to go to Germany.'?
Does 'go' mean 'visit'? Do I have to say 'go to Germany for pleasure?'

I think that is okay.
What about you?

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    It all depends on the context.

A group of international marketing people are discussing the need to do market research in several countries. They are choosing the countries in which they plan to conduct this market research. One of them says "I want to go to Germany." That is about a business trip.

A North American family is discussing the possibility of a summer trip to Europe. The father, thinking of BMW Welt, says "I want to go to Germany." This is for pleasure.

A U.S. Foreign Service employee is discussing her next assignment with her current supervisor, the ambassador to a South American country. She has done very well in her current position, is told that she can probably have her choice of assignments, and is asked where she would like to serve next. She says "I want to go to Germany." That is relocation for a period of, usually, two years.

A mobster who is participating in the U.S. Witness Protection Program is asked "Where would you like to take on your new identity?" He says "I want to go to Germany." That is permanent - really, really permanent.

So, to return to the original question: if the context suggests that you are discussing a pleasure trip, "I want to go to Germany" is enough. If you do not have that context, you should be more specific.

haiwen_liao

Chinese
    What we usually see the usage "go to some palce " is commoner than "visit some place".In my view, "visit some place" seem that somebody have a goal to go to some place. It is used in formal. Usually the usage is that the president visit some place.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >