go to somewhere by bike with somebody

edwardlee

Vietnamese
I often go to the park with my girlfriend by bike (she sits at the back saddle).
In this case, what is the best and most natural way to say? I think of these two ways but I don't think they sound natural enough:

1. Every afternoon, I go to the park by bike with my girlfriend.
2. Every afternoon, I take my girlfriend to the park by bike.

Are they OK? Could you please offer a better way to express this?

• e2efour

UK English
    Welcome to the forum, edwardlee! :)

Your first sentence just suggests that you cycle to the park, and so does your girlfriend (i.e. there are two bicycles).
    Your second sentence is unusual since a bicycle is not designed for carrying passengers. Otherwise it sounds fine.
    You could say I cycle to the park with my girlfriend on the back (of my bike).

But I wonder what kind of bicycle you are talking about, since you have written "the back saddle". Is there more than one saddle?

Last edited:

edwardlee

Vietnamese
    Thanks Paul for making it clear to e2efour :D
    Thanks e2efour for your clear and detailed answer.

A friend of mine has just suggested another way:
    I take my girlfriend on a bike ride to the park.

Does it sound OK?

Grefsen

English - United States
    Yes, it sounds OK, but my reaction is that there are two bikes involved.
    Perhaps it's because I rarely see two people riding on the same bike here in California, but I agree with SwissPete.
    You could say I cycle to the park with my girlfriend on the back (of my bike).
    I think you could also say I cycle to the park with my girlfriend on back and the meaning of your sentence would be clear.

e2efour

UK English
    On back is something I have never heard in BE. Thank you for this Americanism. :)

It is like saying in front instead of in the front (although both are possible in BE).

< Previous | Next >