go to/ surf Youtube

< Previous | Next >

Morecoffee

Chinese
I went to/surfed Youtube the other day and watched an interesting short film.
I'm not sure the correct verb for this context. Could you help me with this?
Thank you so much

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I can't say without knowing the circumstances, without a context.
    'Surfing' means to me generally roaming around with no specific purpose, either the web or a large online site like YouTube.

'I found the most interesting short film on YouTube when I was surfing the web/YouTube the other day'.

'Somebody told me there's an interesting film on YouTube so I went there/ to YouTube to watch it, although I never usually visit it'.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think anyone now uses the verb "to surf" in this context. "To surf" now has an old-fashioned sound to it and would mainly be used by older people who are generally unfamiliar with the internet but who think that "to surf" is still a "trendy", "hip" word.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I don't think anyone now uses the verb "to surf" in this context. "To surf" now has an old-fashioned sound to it and would mainly be used by older people who are generally unfamiliar with the internet but who think that "to surf" is still a "trendy", "hip" word.
    I agree completely with Paul about the word 'surfing'. I just badly need to disavow that I think 'surf' is 'trendy.' It was already on its way out when I first got on-line about 17 years ago.

< Previous | Next >