go to the allotment

d301

Hebrew
Hi, I'll appreciate any help on this:

"I can go from each activity during the day, without changing the prosthetic leg,
so I can go to the allotment. I'm an architectural designer, and so I can go to the site."

what is "go to the allotment" in this context. thanks!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Thank you for your quick answer. I saw this in a youtube video of a guy that tells about his life using a prosthetic leg .
    Which country does the person live in? Can you tell from the video whether "go to the allotment" refers to a leisure activity or is connected with his work?

S1m0n

English
    I'd hazard that 'allotment' in this context is an allotment garden - a communal piece of land on which city dwellers can each have a small plot of land to cultivate.

d301

Hebrew
    Which country does the person live in? Can you tell from the video whether "go to the allotment" refers to a leisure activity or is connected with his work?
    Thank you for your answer. Can I post a link to the video? He is British, I think it is connected to his work

Uncle Jack

British English
    I'd hazard that 'allotment' in this context is an allotment garden - a communal piece of land on which city dwellers can each have a small plot of land to cultivate.
    That would be my choice too, since this is an extremely common use of "allotment" in Britain, whereas any other use would be unusual. An allotment is a plot of common or privately-owned land that individuals can rent part of for growing their own produce. Allotments are found in towns, close to people's homes, and a single allotment will have several plots, ten or twenty perhaps, rented by different individuals.

d301

Hebrew
    That would be my choice too, since this is an extremely common use of "allotment" in Britain, whereas any other use would be unusual. An allotment is a plot of common or privately-owned land that individuals can rent part of for growing their own produce. Allotments are found in towns, close to people's homes, and a single allotment will have several plots, ten or twenty perhaps, rented by different individuals.
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

< Previous | Next >