go to the river

< Previous | Next >

bosun

Banned
korean
Can I say go to the river in the following sentence?

Summer vacation is the best time to travel. We can go to the beach or the mountains. We can also go to the river.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Go to the river sounds strange to me.
    Which river?
    Perhaps if you live in a context where "the river" has meaning this would be OK. It doesn't for me, either locally or when speaking about holidays abroad.
    In either case I could happily talk about going to the beach, the mountains, the lakes ... - but not the river.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    Panj, I've lived and visited several places in the U.S. where there's a prominent river that people like to visit, sort of like going to the beach. In such places, everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "go to the river."

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Panj, I've lived and visited several places in the U.S. where there's a prominent river that people like to visit, sort of like going to the beach. In such places, everyone knows what you're talking about when you say "go to the river."
    I was wondering about that earlier.
    In that kind of location, would "going to the beach" be just as familiar?
    I suppose I was wondering if there needs to be some particular location in mind to make the beach, the mountains, the river seem natural - or can these expressions be used generically.

Edit:
    The other bit of puzzling in my head is the difference between going to XXXX for a vacation, and going to XXXX for the afternoon.
    I think I should stop thinking so much :)

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    I was wondering about that earlier.
    In that kind of location, would "going to the beach" be just as familiar?
    I suppose I was wondering if there needs to be some particular location in mind to make the beach, the mountains, the river seem natural - or can these expressions be used generically.
    That all depends on the location. Here in the Los Angeles area, there are several different beaches one can visit. My husband and I used to go to one beach a lot, so if he said "let's go to the beach" I instantly knew which beach he had in mind. That was years ago, though, and today if he suggested going to the beach I'd have to ask which one.

In an area with only one beach it would be much simpler.

And in the places I mentioned where people go to the river, there's only been one river.

< Previous | Next >