go trick or treating

< Previous | Next >

gunner1945

Canada, English
Hey guys, i would like to know how do you say Trick or Treating in french, (verb "to Trick or Treat") Thx

Moderator's note: the title has been changed to "go trick or treating".
Please refer to this thread "
trick or treat!" for a translation of the expression used by the children who go trick or treating.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • floise

U.S.;English
    Gunner,

Here in Québec the kids say 'je vais passer l'hallowe'en'. It means the same as 'I'm going to go trick or treating'.

Floise

orangepixie86

Canada - English and French
    in grade school (in Windsor, ON), we always said "truck ou traite". i realize this is quite literal, and probably an "anglicisme", but i've heard others use it too...

ocid

France French
    it became popular in France too a couple of years ago, my children used to say "faire Hallowe'en", e.g: "ce soir on va faire Hallowe'en" which meant dressing up and knocking on doors for treats

parbr2

UK English
    By the way - there is not such verb as to trick and treat - its either to trick somebody or to treat somebody or to GO "trick and treating"

yuechu

Canada, English
    Would anyone else have any other suggestions? (for translating the verb "to go trick or treating", that is, to go from house to house (dressed up) to collect candy on Hallowe'en)

The expressions mentioned might work, but they look like they can also have general meanings, right?
    "Passer l'Halloween" just sounds like it could also just mean to spend Halloween somewhere, right? (Je vais passer Halloween chez ___ cette année)
    Faire Hallowe'en -- If you saw some kids going door to door, would it be natural to say "Ah, mais regarde, les enfants des voisins 'font Hallowe'en' ?'. If you were having a costume party, could that also be considered "faire Halloween"?

(I'm looking for the most exact way of describing a picture of children "trick or treating" at the doorstep of a house. Would Franco-Canadians also describe this as "Ils font Hallowe'en" ?)
    Thanks!!

yuechu

Canada, English
    I found the expression "courir l'Halloween" in the Wordreference dictionary. Would it sound ok if you said "Les enfants sont venus à la maison pour courir l'Halloween"? (to go house to house to collect candy)
    Merci d'avance !

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Passer/courir l'Halloween = to go trick or treating. Although both are heard, passer is more common than courir.
    As a French Quebecer, I never ever heard faire Halloween. We don't say faire... and we always add the l'.

Here's an extract from this page of the BDL (bolding mine) :
    Les Français ne mettent pas d’article devant le mot; ils diront par exemple : C’est Halloween! Viens fêter Halloween avec nous. Que faites-vous pour Halloween? On peut sans doute voir dans le fait que les Québécois mettent un article élidé devant Halloween un signe de l’intégration linguistique du mot qui n’est plus senti comme étranger. En outre, la création de l’expression passer l’Halloween, qui a un sens tout à fait particulier au Québec, celui de « passer de maison en maison, en portant un déguisement, pour recueillir des friandises », est un signe de plus de l’intégration du mot.
    Saying : « Les enfants sont venus à la maison pour courir l'Halloween » is like saying : "Kids came to the/our house to go trick or treating".
    So... no, it doesn't sound OK. Sorry.

Exemple fictif (les enfants ne passent pas l'Halloween dans des immeubles de condos) :
    - Des tas d'enfants ont passé l'Halloween sur ma rue. Il y en a au moins 40 qui sont venus sonner à la maison; à la fin, j'ai manqué de bonbons.

For a costume party, I would say in Quebec Frenglish : party d'Halloween (déguisé). Or : fêter l'Halloween.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >