goals of shifting from weakness to strength

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Practitioners give parties little if any advice regarding substance or process. They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and empowerment and being autonomous decision makers.
(The Mediation Process: Practical Strategies for Resolving Conflict; Christopher W. Moore)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in either of the two following ways:

1) They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and empowerment and [of] being autonomous decision makers.
2) They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and empowerment and [to] being autonomous decision makers.

Thanks.

• SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I am sorry that I have trouble understanding how you read it. Below is my analysis:

They believe X.
    X = that A hinders B
    A = giving advice
    B = the parties' and mediator's goals of P
    P = E and F and G
    E = shifting from weakness to strength
    F = empowerment
    G = being autonomous decision makers​

Would you find the above helpful?

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it in either of the two following ways:

1) They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and empowerment and [of] being autonomous decision makers.

2) They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and empowerment and [to] being autonomous decision makers.
    Yes, I think you can read it both ways. On first reading, I saw it as (2); now I can also see it as (1).

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you Loob!

Would you find the above helpful?
    This is almost, but not quite my 1) variant.

Utilizing your framework 1) would look like this:

[...]
    B = the parties' and mediator's goals of P
    P
    = E and G
    E = shifting from weakness to [strength and empowerment]
    G = being autonomous decision makers

Loob

English UK
    Re-reading the thread - are you saying that there's another option, Simon:
    1a) They believe that giving advice hinders the parties' and mediator's goals of shifting from weakness to strength and [of] empowerment and [of] being autonomous decision makers.
    ?

If so, then yes, I think you're right:).

< Previous | Next >