gobierna el país por medio del clientelismo

Patricia B

USA English
I am not sure how to translate clientelismo. I understand what it is. There is a wikipedia article. I think patronage might work, but I am not sure.

The quote is "gobierna el país por medio del clientelismo, la corrupción,y...la represión.

• chicanul

english/spanish
    From your context, clientelismo sounds like "people pleasing" or "catering" (such as in to one 's ego or wants).....let's see what the others say....

Idiomático

Latin American Spanish
    I am not sure how to translate clientelismo. I understand what it is. There is a wikipedia article. I think patronage might work, but I am not sure.

The quote is "gobierna el país por medio del clientelismo, la corrupción,y...la represión.
    Oxford Superlex
    clientelismo m Am. L. practice of obtaining votes with promises of government posts, etc.

Megumi

Español - Argentina
    Does POLITICAL CLIENTELISM convey the same meaning?

This is what the Real Academia Espanola says about CLIENTELISMO:

clientelismo.

1. m. Sistema de protección y amparo con que los poderosos patrocinan a quienes se acogen a ellos a cambio de su sumisión y de sus servicios.

Moritzchen

Spanish, USA
    Encontré esto y un artículo publicado por la Columbia University: Political Clientelism de Susan C. Stokes que no puedo copiar es un documento PDF y pesa un kilo, pero ella define Political Clientelism como
    the proffering of material goods in return for electoral support, where the criterion of distribution that the patron uses is simply: did you (will you) support me?

Patricia B

USA English
    Thank you all for your help. I really like the use of patronage and graft the Chris K suggested because ordinary people will understand what they mean, but I am thinking that maybe clientelism is actually the correct translation after reading Chrisbeato and Moritzchen's entries. I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions and references.
    Patricia B

txpaddler

United States - English
    Clientilism would be understood in an academic context. A virtual synonym is "spoils system," which might have a little bit wider currency with general readers.

< Previous | Next >