God is a girl

< Previous | Next >

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
When I was listening to a song called "God is a Girl", I heard the following lines: God is a girl, can you believe it ,can you receive it ?
I mean no offence. What I'm confused about is the word "receive". What does it really mean?

• mjscott

American English
    coconutpalm said:
    When I was listening to a song called "God is a Girl", I heard the following lines: God is a girl, can you believe it ,can you receive it ?
    I mean no offence. What I'm confused about is the word "receive". What does it really mean?
    "Can you receive it?" - means will your brain even accept it?

If you don't want to believe something, your brain will just pass it by. If someone were to tell you that clouds were dissipating elephants floating in a blue ocean, you might see a nice image, but you wouldn't receive it as truth. The songwriter is wanting you to receive the idea of God being a woman as the truth.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Remember that this is a song and that rhyme and rythm are at least as important as clear meaning.

It's possible that "can you receive it" is asking "are you willing to consider the possibility that this could be true?" Receive = take into your mind seriously. If so, that is a rather figurative meaning of receive.

river

U.S. English
    The Apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. 1 Corinthians 12:13. Some regard the Holy Spirit as feminine.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    river said:
    The Apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior. 1 Corinthians 12:13. Some regard the Holy Spirit as feminine.
    Do you mean by this that "receive" in this song has a dual meaning?
    Besides, thank you for providing me with this complete new knowledge (for me)!

< Previous | Next >