Godspeed! : Do you say that?

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
Dear, Forum,
Yesterday, I came across the word "godspeed", used by a boss to wish good luck to one of his subordinates leaving the organization. The mail ended with "Godspeed!"
I looked it up in the OED, which labels it dated, and I guess it's an AE usage. Do you still use/hear the word? Did you yourself use/hear it in the past?

Thanks a million.

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Well, an Indian boss said that very seriously in his email just yesterday.:D

I'm relieved to know that, eb, because I didn't know the word. Thank you very much.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Was the employee going on a journey, or just leaving the organisation?

I find it even more unusual to use "Godspeed" if he wasn't planning on a journey. I can imagine someone of a religious bent saying it to me maybe if I were setting off on a long and hazardous trip (to the North Pole, perhaps:D).

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I like more unusual words, and so I have to confess to using it. I know it is old fashioned, but I like to use it as a kind of blessing. It needn't be confined to a journey ('speed' means 'success', as in 'More haste, less speed'), and the OED gives a quotation from 2007:

2007 Philadelphia Daily News (Nexis) 21 Nov. 4 Negotiations generally close out with a godspeed and good luck.
    Did you consult the OED or some other Oxford Dictionary? The online OED doesn't label it as dated.

natkretep

Ah, that's Oxford Dictionaries, rather than the OED, which is a subscription-only site.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    But we don't have to subscribe to that here in India -- it's available for all to use online. Probably they know you are quite rich and that Indians really need a subsidy. :)

natkretep

You're talking about Oxford Dictionaries. I'm talking about the OED, based on a 20-volume dictionary. My university subscribes to it, which is why I get access to it.

pob14

American English
    I don't suppose anyone's seriously said that in two hundred years.
    Well, the moon launch was a while ago, if not quite 200 years:
    As the powerful rocket thundered away toward the Moon, the last words they heard from Launch Control were: "Good luck and Godspeed."
    Probably because of this, I associate the word with very important moments. I've never used it seriously.

francoe

Argentina - Español
    Actually, on El Camino, A Breaking Bad Movie, when Ed leaves Jesse Pikman in Alaska says: "godspeed to you".

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    Well, the moon launch was a while ago, if not quite 200 years:

Probably because of this, I associate the word with very important moments. I've never used it seriously.
    Which is exactly why I wouldn't say "Godspeed!" to someone who is about to go on a relatively mundane trip.

natkretep

It comes up in some well-known songs, such as

'Unchained melody': I need your love, Godspeed your love to me
    'Lara's Theme'/'Somewhere, my love' (Dr Zhivago): Lara, my own, think of me now and then; Godspeed, my love, till you are mine again.

Emma Neve

Italian
    That expression was used in a notorious tweet (in 2018 I guess) by Sarah Jessica Parker:
    "Dearest Kim, my love and condolences to you and yours and Godspeed to your beloved brother."
    Kim Cattrall did not take that very well!

< Previous | Next >