going for brisk walks (is,are) a healthy thing to do

Caesats

Chinese
Hi everyone
my teacher gave me this sentence “going for brisk walks (is, are) a healthy thing to do” , I choose “is” because “going for brisk walks ” is the subject ,but my teacher said “brisk walsk” was the subject ,so “are” is the answer。 The same, she also gave me this“ to plant one’s own vegetables (need,needs) much care and attention,I chose “needs”, my teacher said subject was“ vegetables” ,so ths answer is “need”
But I found "Playing games is my favorate" is correct ,so what 's the subject of that sentence,and which verb is correct?
And why add “to do” at the end?,“to do going for brisk walks (is ,are) a healthy thing "
:confused:

• Andygc

British English
    Your teacher's wrong again. The subject is "going for brisk walks" - "is". Likewise "to plant ones own vegetables" - "needs". Likewise "playing games" -"is". And you certainly do not need "to do".

Andygc

British English
    You gave us “to do going for brisk walks (is ,are) a healthy thing " That is wrong.
    “Going for brisk walks is a healthy thing." :tick:
    “Going for brisk walks is a healthy thing to do." :tick: That is a more idiomatic sentence. The 'to do' comes at the end, not the beginning.

Caesats

Chinese
    You gave us “to do going for brisk walks (is ,are) a healthy thing " That is wrong.

“Going for brisk walks is a healthy thing to do." :tick: That is a more idiomatic sentence. The 'to do' comes at the end, not the beginning.
    Do you know why add "to do"? I think if "to do" added, then it could be" to do going for brisk walks is a healthy thing"--- this is wrong , so I don't understand why add "to do"

George French

English - UK
    Do you know why add "to do"? I think if "to do" added, then it could be" to do going for brisk walks is a healthy thing"--- this is wrong , so I don't understand why add "to do"
    The reason is, that is what we do... The "to do" at the end is superfluous, nevertheless we sometimes say it.... and sometimes we don't say it..

GF..

Andygc

British English
    Why? Because that's the way we say it in English. We don't say "to do going" We say "to go" or "going".

The structure {noun phrase} is a {noun phrase} {to infinitive} is common.
    "Swimming is a healthy thing to do."
    "To go swimming is a healthy thing to do."
    "To swim is a healthy thing to do."
    "Crossing a road with your eyes shut is a stupid thing to do."
    "Gone with the Wind is a classic film to see."
    "Reading Dan Brown's books is a mind-numbing experience to suffer."

Biffo

English - England
    Brisk walks are healthy. :tick:

Going for brisk walks is healthy. :tick:

You cannot qualify the subject of a sentence with 'for'. *

* Not even in the sentence "For he's a jolly good fellow."