Going tharn

Tatti

Russian
Hi all,
In The Stand by Stephen King, there is a phrase: An animal which had gone tharn would crouch in the middle of the road, its ears flattened, watching as a car rushed toward it, unable to move from the certain oncoming death. So, the meaning of the expression to go tharn is pretty clear but when I asked some native speakers about the phrase, they told me that tharn is an old word and it's not of every-day use. What is more colloquial equivalent of the phrase? Thanks!!

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    There is also: Stark: Archaic or poetic rigid, as in death (esp in the phrases stiff and stark, stark dead) Despite its being described as archaic, I heard it used (over 30 years ago) in Lincolnshire (UK) with respect to rabbits in the headlights.

(But then, if you have ever been to Lincolnshire...)

Tatti

Russian
    Thank you, guys, but I am still not clear about which word(s) to use when describing a situation like the one in The Stand but in a more common way? And, in the perpend's link, there is an example: “Of course, if I got to meet Obama, I'd probably go tharn.” The same question, what to say to express the state of going tharn? I would freeze up? I would get frozen? :confused:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ...what to say to express the state of going tharn? I would freeze up? I would get frozen? :confused:
    "I'd probably freeze."

"I'd probably freeze up."

"I'd probably freeze [up] like a deer in the headlights."

However, not "I would get frozen." That means that something outside you caused the freezing, not your own emotions. When we place water in a freezer, or when the temperature at a pond drops below 32°F/0°C, the water gets frozen and becomes ice.

ewie

English English
    "I'd probably freeze up."
    :thumbsup: That would be my choice too. (Mind you, knowing my luck I'd probably throw up rather than freeze up:rolleyes:)

I read Watership Down ¾-of-a-lifetime ago and thought it was so brilliant that I bored the pants off my family by reading it out loud to them on a holiday in France. I've never read it since and had successfully blotted (go) tharn from my memory.

< Previous | Next >