going to district / districts [sports]

pera_palas

Turkish
Hello Everyone,
Could you please explain me the meaning of "going to district"?
The context is two guys are talking, one guy asks the other how his son's arm is.
The other replies: "Back to a hundred percent. We're going to district!"

The only explanation I have is maybe the guy's son is an athlete (basketball player, baseball player?) and his team will advance to the district semi-finals?
Does that make sense to you?

Thank you all in advance!
Kind regards

• Barb_PA

English, USA
    There should definitely be an "S" sound at the end of that. I'm honestly not sure if it's "district's" or "districts" but not "district."

We're going to district's/districts.
    We've made it to the regional's/regionals.
    We are in the state championship.

Other American sports people have a thought on 's or just s?

sdgraham

USA English
    "We're going to district" is a quite common, albeit informal way of saying "We're going to the district tournament."

Sports talk can be a bit strange, but I would never put an 's' on the end in this context.

(I hated sports writing in my journalism career, but I couldn't avoid it)

Barb_PA

English, USA
    Hmm. I agree "the district tournament" but "districts" (S sound) without the other words. But I see you're from the west coast and I'm from the east, so it could be regional. Where is Breaking Bad set?

sdgraham

USA English
    Hmm. I agree "the district tournament" but "districts" (S sound) without the other words. But I see you're from the west coast and I'm from the east, so it could be regional. Where is Breaking Bad set?
    Don't jump to the erroneous conclusion that just because I retired to Oregon, I didn't have to endure other parts of the country in my 28 years with America's largest news-gathering organization, including New York City, Montana and Indiana where basketball is a cult more than a sport.

I saw no difference.

Last edited:

-mack-

American English
    That's strange, because in Ohio where I grew up and went to high school, it was always "we're going to districts"; never heard it without the s. We're going to districts, we're going to regionals, but we're going to state.

< Previous | Next >