Golden Globe nominations

eac

USA, English
This is the second paragraph of the article, along with my translation. I think the last clause needs a little cleaning up, but I basically get the gist of it.

ترشيحات الغولدن غلوب التي أعلنتها جمعية الصحافيين الأجانب في هوليوود هذا الأسبوع، شملت كعادتها عدة مفاجآت، وودي آلن الذي أمضى سنوات طويلة بعيدا عن الجوائز الأميركية يحظى فيلمه الأخير--- بترشيح لأفضل فيلم درامي وأفضل مخرج وأفضل نص، وذلك على حساب المخرج ستيفن سبيلبرغ في فيلمه ميونخ --- الذي رشح في فرعي أفضل مخرج وأفضل نص. من مفاجآت الغولدن غلوب أيضا حصول بيتر جاكسون على ترشيح أفضل مخرج عن فيلمه كنغ كونغ --- ، الفيلم الذي وصفه البعض بأنه أفضل أفلام الوحوش في تاريخ السينما، ورغم أن هذا النوع من أفلام الإثارة لا يجد له مكانا في موسم الجوائز عادة، إلا إن المراجعات النقدية المشجعة للغاية قد تدفع به إلى الأمام في الأشهر الثلاثة القادمة. أما في فروع أفضل ممثل وممثلة، فكون الجمعية ترشح عشرة ممثلين سنويا (خمسة كأفضل أداء درامي وخمسة كأفضل أداء كوميدي/ موسيقي) يقلل كثير من أهمية الاختيارات، لكن ما يشد الانتباه من الآن هو ترشيح الممثل تيرنس هاورد عن ---، وهو الفيلم الذي يرى فيه الكثير من النقاد العمل الذي يدفع بالممثل الأسود الموهوب إلى مزيد من النجومية التي يستحقها.

The Golden Globe nominations, which the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced this week, included a number of surprises, as usual. Woody Allen, who is many years removed from the American awards, had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script, this along with the director Steven Spielberg for his film “Munich,” which was nominated for the category of Best Director and Best Script. Also among the Golden Globe surprises is Peter Jackson’s receiving a Best Director nomination for his film “King Kong,” the film which some have described as the best monster movie in the history of the cinema, although this type of novelty film does not usually find itself a place in awards season, even if the extremely encouraging critical response pushes it forward in the next three months. As for the categories of Best Actor and Actress, the association nominating ten actors annually (five for best dramatic performance, and five for best comedy/musical performace) much of the importance of the choices is diminishing, but what has garnered attention at this point is the nomination of the actor Terrence Howard from “Hustle and Flow,” the film in which many popular critics who support the black actor see an increase in the fame that he deserves.

Any critique of this translation would be appreciated, especially an explanation of على حاسب, and the final clause.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    eac said:
    This is the second paragraph of the article, along with my translation. I think the last clause needs a little cleaning up, but I basically get the gist of it.

ترشيحات الغولدن غلوب التي أعلنتها جمعية الصحافيين الأجانب في هوليوود هذا الأسبوع، شملت كعادتها عدة مفاجآت، وودي آلن الذي أمضى سنوات طويلة بعيدا عن الجوائز الأميركية يحظى فيلمه الأخير--- بترشيح لأفضل فيلم درامي وأفضل مخرج وأفضل نص، وذلك على حساب المخرج ستيفن سبيلبرغ في فيلمه ميونخ --- الذي رشح في فرعي أفضل مخرج وأفضل نص. من مفاجآت الغولدن غلوب أيضا حصول بيتر جاكسون على ترشيح أفضل مخرج عن فيلمه كنغ كونغ --- ، الفيلم الذي وصفه البعض بأنه أفضل أفلام الوحوش في تاريخ السينما، ورغم أن هذا النوع من أفلام الإثارة لا يجد له مكانا في موسم الجوائز عادة، إلا إن المراجعات النقدية المشجعة للغاية قد تدفع به إلى الأمام في الأشهر الثلاثة القادمة. أما في فروع أفضل ممثل وممثلة، فكون الجمعية ترشح عشرة ممثلين سنويا (خمسة كأفضل أداء درامي وخمسة كأفضل أداء كوميدي/ موسيقي) يقلل كثير من أهمية الاختيارات، لكن ما يشد الانتباه من الآن هو ترشيح الممثل تيرنس هاورد عن ---، وهو الفيلم الذي يرى فيه الكثير من النقاد العمل الذي يدفع بالممثل الأسود الموهوب إلى مزيد من النجومية التي يستحقها.

The Golden Globe nominations, which the Hollywood Foreign Press Association announced this week, included a number of surprises, as usual. Woody Allen, who is many years removed from the American awards, had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script, this along with on account of the director Steven Spielberg for his film “Munich,” which was nominated for the category of Best Director and Best Script. Also among the Golden Globe surprises is Peter Jackson’s receiving a Best Director nomination for his film “King Kong,” the film which some have described as the best monster movie in the history of the cinema. Although this type of novelty film thriller (film) does not usually find itself a place in awards season, even if the extremely encouraging critical response pushes may push it forward in the next three months. As for the categories of Best Actor and Actress, the fact that the association nominatinges ten actors annually (five for best dramatic performance, and five for best comedy/musical performace) diminishes much of the importance of the choices is diminishing, but what has garnered caught much attention at this point is the nomination of the actor Terrence Howard from for “Hustle and Flow,” the film in which many popular critics who support the popular black actor see as an increase in the fame the work that will drive the actor to a well-deserved increase in stardom.

Any critique of this translation would be appreciated, especially an explanation of على حاسب, and the final clause.
    See my improvements above.

I am not sure of "on account of." That's one of the translations of على حساب, but I'm not sure it makes sense here. Frankly, I'm not sure what the sentence is saying here. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Also, please remember to give your threads meaningful, informative titles. I have changed the title of this thread for you.

DAH

USA/California--English
    eac: I had some input, hopefully you'll find it useful..

The Golden Globe nominations, announced this week by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, as usual, have a number of surprises: Woody Allen, who for many years has been distanced from the American awards, has had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script. Steven Spielberg has also been nominated for his film “Munich” for the categories of Best Director and Best Script. Among other Golden Globe surprises, there is Peter Jackson’s nomination for Best Director for his film “King Kong,” which some have described as the best monster movie in cinema history. Yet, a novelty cum thriller film of this type will not usually find a place in the awards season despite an extremely encouraging critical response pushing it forward in the next three months. As for the categories of Best Actor and Actress, the fact that the Hollywood Press nominates ten actors annually (five for best dramatic performance and five for best comedy/musical performace) diminishes much of the importance of the choices. However, what has caused much attention, to date, is the nomination of actor Terrence Howard for his role in the film “Hustle and Flow” which many popular critics who support the black actor see as a vehicle for Howard's fame and stardom.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Very beautifully phrased DAH :) I'd only wish to add a little something in here :

DAH said:
    The Golden Globe nominations, announced this week by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, as usual, have a number of surprises: Woody Allen, who for many years has been distanced from the American awards, has had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script ????? Steven Spielberg whose film "Munich" has only been nominated for the categories of Best Director and Best Script. Among other Golden Globe surprises, there is Peter Jackson’s nomination for Best Director for his film “King Kong,” which some have described as the best monster movie in cinema history. And although this type of movies rarely finds a place among nominations, the extremely encouraging critic reviews may (is likely to) push it forward in the coming three months. As for the categories of Best Actor and Actress, the fact that the Hollywood Press nominates ten actors annually (five for best dramatic performance and five for best comedy/musical performace) diminishes much of the importance of the choices. However, what has caused much attention, to date, is the nomination of actor Terrence Howard for his role in the film “Hustle and Flow” which many critics consider as the role that will push the talented black actor towards the stardom he very much deserves
    the ???? are the problem i faced while trying to phrase the expression على حساب . It means : prefering somone/something over another , or that someone/something took over another. It tried to stress this meaning by the word "only", hope it helped.
    So I hope that someone would help us here.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    DAH said:
    Yet, a novelty cum thriller film of this type will not usually find a place in the awards season despite an extremely encouraging critical response pushing it forward in the next three months.

Dale,
    Your revisions are ok, except for this one. The Arabic sentence is saying the opposite of what you are saying. It is saying that although this type of film does not usually win awards, this one might because of the positive reviews it has gotten. Your sentence says the opposite.​

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cherine said:
    Very beautifully phrased DAH :) I'd only wish to add a little something in here :

the ???? are the problem i faced while trying to phrase the expression على حساب . It means : prefering somone/something over another , or that someone/something took over another. It tried to stress this meaning by the word "only", hope it helped.
    So I hope that someone would help us here.
    Ok - that helps a lot! That's what I suspected it meant, but I wasn't sure. In light of this information, here's what I suggest (I have also thrown in a few other suggestions):

The Golden Globe nominations, announced this week by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, as usual, have included a number of surprises: Woody Allen, who for many years has been distanced from the American awards, has had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script, defeating Steven Spielberg, whose film "Munich" has only been was nominated for the categories of Best Director and Best Script. Among other Golden Globe surprises, there is was Peter Jackson’s nomination for Best Director for his film “King Kong,” which some have described as the best monster movie in cinema history. And although this type of thriller film rarely finds a place among nominations, the extremely encouraging critic reviews may (is likely to) push it forward in the coming three months. As for the categories of Best Actor and Actress, the fact that the Hollywood Press nominates ten actors annually (five for best dramatic performance and five for best comedy/musical performace) diminishes much of the importance of the choices. However, what has caused much attention, to date, is the nomination of actor Terrence Howard for his role in the film “Hustle and Flow” which many critics consider as the role that will push the talented popular black actor towards (the degree of) the stardom he very much deserves

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thanks for the corrections Elroy. Allow me 2 more comments :

elroy said:
    Woody Allen, who for many years has been distanced from the American awards, has had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script, defeating Steven Spielberg, whose film "Munich" has only been was nominated for the categories of Best Director and Best Script.
    I think the use of "defeating" is a bit to strong here. Although I don't have an alternative to offer :D and can we keep my "only" ? i liked it very much :)

elroy said:
    However, what has caused much attention, to date, is the nomination of actor Terrence Howard for his role in the film “Hustle and Flow” which many
    elroy said:
    critics consider as the role that will push the talented popular black actor towards (the degree of) the stardom he very much deserves
    The Arabic text has موهوب which mean talented.

Apart from this, I think we all agree on this latest paragraph.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cherine said:
    Thanks for the corrections Elroy. Allow me 2 more comments :

I think the use of "defeating" is a bit to strong here. Although I don't have an alternative to offer :D and can we keep my "only" ? i liked it very much :)

Hm..I don't think it's too strong. In fact, it sounds quite natural in this context. But who knows? Perhaps someone else will have a better suggestion.
    Your "only" is an addition to the text, but if you must have it I guess we can keep it. :D

The Arabic text has موهوب which mean talented.
    Ah...I see now. You are right. I was going with the other meaning of the word (can't it also mean "loved"?), and that led me to "popular."

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    elroy said:
    Your "only" is an addition to the text, but if you must have it I guess we can keep it. :D
    Oh ! Thank you Elroy , you're so kind :D

elroy said:
    Ah...I see now. You are right. I was going with the other meaning of the word (can't it also mean "loved"?), and that led me to "popular."
    موهوب means : gifted or talented. I personally have never seen it in the meaning of loved nor popular.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cherine said:
    موهوب means : gifted or talented. I personally have never seen it in the meaning of loved nor popular.
    Ok, I don't know what I was thinking. Don't mind me. I must have confused it with another similar word (can't think of what it would be, though).

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cherine said:
    محبوب ? than you're forgiven :D
    No, that's not similar enough! :)

I think I know what it was...you know that song "bahwaak"? I was thinking of that verb - what would be its past participle?

I think I thought "mawhuub" came from "bahwaak" because it's similar except for the "b," but the ending reminded me of "ma7buub," so I must have subconsciously interpreted it as a mixture of the past participle of "bahwaak" (whatever it would be) and "ma7buub." Needless to say, I wasn't thinking straight. If it's any defense, it was really late at night here.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    elroy said:
    I was thinking of that verb - what would be its past participle?
    To be honest with you, i've never heard/read the participle of the verb ahwa. the اسم الفاعل is هاوى or هاوٍ but never seen اسم مفعول it's not like u7ibbu ==> mu7ibb ==> ma7buub.
    If any one has heard it, please join. (But then, Elroy, you'll have to split this thread)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    cherine said:
    To be honest with you, i've never heard/read the participle of the verb ahwa. the اسم الفاعل is هاوى or هاوٍ but never seen اسم مفعول it's not like u7ibbu ==> mu7ibb ==> ma7buub.
    If any one has heard it, please join. (But then, Elroy, you'll have to split this thread)
    Solving this mystery would certainly be worth it! :D

But at least now you've seen (I hope) how my mistake was not so outlandish. :)

Josh_

U.S., English
    elroy said:
    Solving this mystery would certainly be worth it! :D

But at least now you've seen (I hope) how my mistake was not so outlandish. :)
    مهوى (mahwan) which is translated as "object of desire" or "place of one's longing" according to the Hans Wehr dictionary. So, I guess, if you extrapolate, you could translate it as loved.

I believe it is the passive particle of the Form IV verb of this not, and not the Form I, so it probably isn't relevant here. The form I may not have a passive participle. Definitely a question for the professor.

eac

USA, English
    I was not expecting to start such a long thread! Thanks, everyone, especially for the explanation of على حساب. How would the expression "one-upping" work? Since these are only nominations, Allen didn't "defeat" Spielberg, but he did "one-up" him by having his film be nominated for more awards than Spielberg's was.

Josh_

U.S., English
    eac said:
    I was not expecting to start such a long thread! Thanks, everyone, especially for the explanation of على حساب. How would the expression "one-upping" work? Since these are only nominations, Allen didn't "defeat" Spielberg, but he did "one-up" him by having his film be nominated for more awards than Spielberg's was.
    Well, the term “one-up” is kind of hard to explain and is very idiomatic. I am not really sure works in your sentence, or in the way you used it is your sentence. You make it sound as though Allen deliberately “one-upped” Speilberg.

Look at the web definition here:
    One-upmanship is the systematic and conscious practice of making one's associates feel inferior and thereby gaining the status of being "one-up" on them, as described by Stephen Potter in his tongue-in-cheek self-help books, and in film and television derivatives from them.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial_s&oi=defmore&defl=en&q=define:eek:ne-upmanship

According to one of my dictionaries "one-upmanship" might be translated as:

فن الحصول على ميزة بطرق مشبوهـة

(Literally: The art of obtaining advantage in dubious ways.)

Remember, this is only an approximation.

“One up” golf definition:
    one up Used in match play to mean having scored one hole more than your opponent. Also, the score of the player who is one up.
    http://www.worldgolf.com/wglibrary/reference/dictionary/opage.html

Allen did not purposely and consciously “one-up” Spielberg in the sense given in the first quote I listed. But he may be thought of as being one-up according to the golf definition (second quote I listed), which has made its way into mainstream language to mean anyone who is one step ahead of another. So one-up in this sense might be translated as:

شخص في حالة إزدهار

Maybe you could say something like

في مقارنة بين وودي آلن وبين ستيفن سبيلبورج وودي الشخص في حالة إزدهار. ـ
    In a comparison of Woody Allen and Steven Spielberg Woody is “one-up” (literally: in a flourishing state; having a heyday).

You may also be able to use the word سابق , but even that does not correspond closely enough.

I don’t know. That’s a tough one.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    Josh, Eac is translating from Arabic into English, and not the other way around, if I'm not mistaken.

What about a simple, clear construction?

...had his latest film, “Match Point,” win a nomination for Best Dramatic Film, Best Director, and Best Script, winning more nominations than Steven Spielberg,...

eac

USA, English
    Thanks to everyone for helping me out. The rest of the article was pretty easy, except for the final paragraph, which was slightly rougher. I will post it here:

ما يبدو واضحا حتى الآن، هو أن المنافسة على جائزة أفضل ممثل قد ينقصها شيء من الإثارة، إذ لا يوجد من بين المرشحين من له تاريخ أوسكاري ملحوظ، يواكين فوينكس في «اعبر الخط» Walk The Line وفيليب سيمور هوفمان في «كابوت» Capote ، ربما تيرنس هوارد في Hustle & Flow، بينما نجد الوضع مغايرا في فرع أفضل مخرج، فهناك أنج لي في «جبل بروكباك» وستيفن سبيلبرغ في «ميونيخ» وبحظوظ أقل نجد جورج كلوني في «ليلة سعيدة وحظ سعيد» وفيرناندو ميرليس في «البستاني الدؤوب» The Constant Gardener، وربما حتى بيتر جاكسون في »كنغ كونغ».
    What seems to be clear up to this point, is that the competition for Best Actor has been diminished by something in terms of impression, that among the candidates there is nobody with an obvious Oscar history: Joaquin Phoenix in “Walk The Line,” Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote,” possibly Terrence Howard in “Hustle and Flow” while we find the reverse in the Best Director category, as there is Ang Lee for “Brokeback Mountain” and Steven Spielberg for “Munich,” and less likely, George Clooney for “Good Night and Good Luck,” Fernando Meirelles for “The Constant Gardener,” and possibly even Peter Jackson for “King Kong.”

I translated حتي in the final clause as "even" because its use seemed to emphasize the remoteness of Peter Jackson's chances. My biggest concern is about the clause: قد ينقصها شئ من الإثارة, for which my translation seems a little clunky. I'm happy to be finally finished with this article, though! Thanks in advance,
    Ethan

DAH

USA/California--English
    eac said:
    expression "one-upping" can be substituted with out-bested

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    eac said:
    What seems to be clear up to this point, is that the competition for Best Actor lacks a bit of excitement has been diminished by something in terms of impression, that ; for among the candidates there is nobody with an obvious Oscar history: Joaquin Phoenix in “Walk The Line,” Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote,” possibly Terrence Howard in “Hustle and Flow” while we find the reverse (contrary?) in the Best Director category, as there is Ang Lee for “Brokeback Mountain” and Steven Spielberg for “Munich,” and less likely (with less luck), George Clooney for “Good Night and Good Luck,” Fernando Meirelles for “The Constant Gardener,” and possibly (maybe) even Peter Jackson for “King Kong.”
    Very good translation. As you see, i've only made slight changes, most of which in things you doubted yourself :)
    eac said:
    I translated حتي in the final clause as "even" because its use seemed to emphasize the remoteness of Peter Jackson's chances.
    You're right about that.

eac said:
    My biggest concern is about the clause: قد ينقصها شئ من الإثارة, for which my translation seems a little clunky. I'm happy to be finally finished with this article, though! Thanks in advance,
    Ethan
    ينقص means lack or miss.
    I hope my contribution was of help. And i'd like to congratulate you for a fine job :)

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    The translation, with Cherine's corrections, is great. I just have a few suggestions:

What seems to be clear up to this point, is that the competition for Best Actor lacks may lack a bit certain degree of excitement has been diminished by something in terms of impression, that ; for among the candidates there is nobody with an obvious a notable Oscar history: - Joaquin Phoenix in “Walk The Line,” Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote,” possibly Terrence Howard in “Hustle and Flow” - while we find the reverse (contrary?) the case is not so in the Best Director category, as there is Ang Lee for “Brokeback Mountain” and Steven Spielberg for “Munich,” and less likely (with less luck), George Clooney for “Good Night and Good Luck,” Fernando Meirelles for “The Constant Gardener,” and possibly (maybe) (or perhaps) even Peter Jackson for “King Kong.”

None of the words/phrases I changed are wrong per se; these are suggestions for what I feel are slightly better alternatives.

Also, I thought of something else for "one-upped." How about just "outdid"?

< Previous | Next >