golden spit bucket

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone,

in the episode of the TV series House, MD I am translating there is a sentence that does not make much sense to me. House is trying to treat a young boxer who used to be quite successful but loses all the fights lately. House thinks this is due to some illness the boxer has and does not know about. He wants to help him to regain his power and glory. Among other, he says:

Yeah, I also said I would get you your career back but it doesn’t seem to matter. You’ve so clearly been handed the golden spit bucket.

What does he mean by that? Is it some boxing slang? I am not much of a sports fan and have no idea what does he refer to. Please, help me out.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Between rounds, boxers rinse out their mouths with water, and then spit it into a bucket. Meanwhile, executives who have contracts that provide extremely generous severance packages in case they lose their jobs are said to have "golden parachutes". The two terms are being combined.

Without further context, House seems to be saying that he could get the boxer his career (as a boxer) back, but the boxer already has some sort of financial future that is lucrative, if less honorable. Is their a lawsuit/legal settlement involved here for some kind of injury?

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Thank you, GreenWhiteBlue, for the explanation. However, the boxer in this episode does not have any lucrative future, quite the contrary - he considers himself a loser ("I suck," he says about himself). But since House means that the fact the boxer lost his last five matches is due to his illness, and he still believes in him, couldn't the sentence mean he has talent?

Valvs

Russian
    I don't remember this episode of House very well, but I think House is being sarcastic. He enters the gym and sees the boxer mopping the floor instead of training. So, in my opinion (based on what I remember, which is not much) his words mean, more or less, "I promised to give you your career back, but you seem to be quite happy with your new role of a janitor/helper around the gym....".

Garin

Czech - Czechia
    Yes, you are right, Valvs, I should have watched the episode again in the first place ;) Thank you!

< Previous | Next >